New Lounger
    Thanks

Styles problem when inserting files (Word 97 SR2)

I have a macro, used throughout my company, that lists all the templates in a specified folder, and allows you to insert them at the end of the current document. Many of these templates are old and have been created by different people at different times. I have a couple of problems to do with styles that have been used...
    1. The same style name is formatted differently in different templates. When one template is inserted into another, the formatting of the inserted template changes to reflect the formatting of the style of the 'main' template. Is there a way to prevent this, short of making sure all of the Styles are formatted in the same way?

2. Sometimes there is direct formatting applied in the 'main' document, so that the style looks the same as the style that is in use in the template being inserted. However, the inserted style will be reformatted to reflect the style formatting of the 'main' template. Is there an easy way to remove all direct formatting?

Basically, I want to be able to do something that will make text and formatting stay the same when one document / template is inserted into another. Any ideas?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Styles problem when inserting files (Word 97 SR2)

2. Ctrl+Spacebar removes all directly applied character formatting from the selected text, and Ctrl+Q removes all directly applied paragraph formatting from the selected text.

Thanks

Re: Styles problem when inserting files (Word 97 SR2)

Unlike many aspects of Word's layouts and formatting, styles can only have one definition throughout an entire document. The most logical-seeming solution would be to use a unique style definition for each template so that it's formatting would remain unchanged no matter where you inserted it. However, this might not always give the best results and might be a maintenance nightmare. (AutoText is just as hard, maybe harder.) Plan B would be to use character styles where templates need to have different character formatting. Did Word 97 have character styles?? But this, too, is huge amounts of work. I don't think there's a quick fix for this...

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Styles problem when inserting files (Word 97 S

Quite frankly, this is the way Word was designed to work. Otherwise, you could have a heading 1 style that was in 16 pt Arial bold in part of a document & another heading 1 styles that were 14 pt. italic Garamond. Are you sure that you really want this? There are only two ways to make sure that inserted (or pasted) text retains it's exact style in Word: 1) make sure that each style has a different name (as Jefferson mentioned), or 2) use no styles & use direct formatting only. Direct formatting usually keeps it's formatting, especially if it's inserted (pasted) in it's own paragraph.