4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Location Data (2000/SR1)

I have a drawing of our warehouse and each location is shown on there. I also have a database that lists each location, along with information about the location, size, what kind of products can go in there, that type of thing. Is there an easy way to tie this information together? I tried using the database wizard and I'm not sure if I'm doing it right or not but I'm not getting what I want. What I would like to be able to do is to click on the location, number or shape and open up a window that gives the detail on the location. Is this even possible? Thanks for any help that you can give me.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Location Data (2000/SR1)

Don

I am sure it is possible but setting this sort of thing up is not for the faint hearted. The extra information is stored as custom properties for each object.

It is possible to get both the picture and the database synchronised so that changes can be made at either location. To give you some idea of how the database can link to the graphic, have a look in the Visio directory for the aircraft seating plan sample which gets its information from an Access database. On my Visio 2002 machine this visio file is located at ...
    C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeVisio101033SamplesVisio ExtrasSample Database Airplane Seating.vsd
    The database is located in the same directory.

I am pretty sure the same demo file exists in the earlier versions of Visio but the path may be slightly different.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia