Star Lounger
    Thanks

Includetext questions (2000sr3)

Any pointers to detailed documentation on how INCLUDETEXT works? (I've looked at the previous thread which describes the problems with relative links).

My specific questions today are related to formatting. Eg
    - Are the style definitions in the master or include document used to format the included text (my limited testing suggests the former).
    - What about page and division formatting? It appears that headers and footers in the include document are ignored. What happens when I have a division break and a change in page formatting in the include document?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Includetext questions (2000sr3)

Includetext fields generally are formatted the same way pasted text is.
    1. If part of a paragraph is brought in, it takes on the formatting of the target paragraph.
    2. If the style hasn't been used in the target document, the style of the source document is used.
    2. If you use the * Mergeformat switch, the target document formatting is used, except direct formatting applied to the field is preserved..
    3. If you use the * Charformat switch, it will take on the character formatting of the first character in the field code (the "I" in INCLUDETEXT).

Look up mergeformat & charformat in the online help for more information. You can also find information by going to Insert/Field/scrolling to Includetext & then looking at the description of the syntax & switches. If you run into specific problems, post back.
    Cheers,

Star Lounger
    Thanks

What about other features such as division formatting, footnote numbering etc? I haven't found any relevant documentation on this.

I'm not using mergeformat, because I'm including large blocks of text (chapter size) and want to have varying formatting within the included document.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Sections
    By division, I assume you mean section. Section formatting is brought over...sort of. All documents have at least one section. Section formatting is carried in the section break following the section. The last paragraph mark is an implied section break which carries the formatting of the preceding section (as well as other formatting). If there are no section breaks in the document, the final paragraph mark carries all the formatting of the document (a single section).

When you bring over an includetext field, you bring over the section breaks & the formatting that they carry. HOWEVER, the final paragraph mark of the source document is NOT brought over. Hence, the formatting of the last section of the source is not brought over. If you want to bring it over, you must include a continuous section break at the very end of the source document. (It will be just before the final paragraph mark in the source document.)

Footnotes
    I haven't explored this completely. Footnotes are brought over from the source. Any footnotes in the target document are renumbered. Make sure that you don't use the "* mergeformat" switch or the footnote reference marks in the Includetext field will not be superscript.
    Hope this helps,

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, very useful. (Maybe 'division' was the terminology in an earlier incarnation of word?). I guess from the way you have written this, that your comments are based on experience rather than reference to any form of definitive documentation. If there is any documentation, please point me to it.
    Thanks again.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm afraid all my "documentation" are tips that I've collected over the years. I have no definitive 1 stop place. There is some information in the online help & you can get some information by going to Insert/Field.../Scroll for INCLUDETEXT & then look at the syntax, switches, & press F1. But I haven't found anything definitive for any of Word's fields, unfortunately.