New Lounger
    Thanks

Struggling with a couple of issues (2002, SP2)

Hi,

I'm having a couple of problems with some presentations and I'd be grateful if anyone can help me.

Firstly, the slides all carry a slide number. However, I cannot get the number to start at 1. It is always starting a 0. I have tried editing the Master slide, etc., even to the point of deleting the number and creating it again. But it still refuses to start at 1. I have had a look in the options but haven't seen anything. Have I missed something somewhere?

Secondly, when I open the 'View' menu, there is a message at the top which reads "Error: No Locale Data". The other modules don't have this message. From the help file, I get the impression that this message may be related to the regionalisation settings within the operating system - Windows 2000 Professional, SP4. I have checked the settings and they appear to OK. I have also run the 'Detect and Repair' option but this has made no difference.

I'd be grateful for any advice.

Regards,

Ian

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Struggling with a couple of issues (2002, SP2)

1. Have you tried File | Page Setup..., Number Slides From?

2. About the No Locale Data problem: do you have any add-ins loaded? If so, try unloading them one by one to see if one of them causes the problem.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans,

Why do we always try and make things more difficult for ourselves! The one place I didn't look was File | Page Setup. Many thanks for keeping me straight.

As to the add-ins, I had KMT's Office Pro 3.0 installed. It wouldn't unload and, as I don't actually require it at present, I've removed it. There are now no add-ins to PowerPoint but I'm still left with the error message. Apart from the fact that any message that says "Error: ...." can give a lock of confidence in the system, I don't whether this is one that I need to worry about. Does it actually have any impact on the operation of PowerPoint?

Thanks again for sorting me out.

Regards,

Ian

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You don't happen to have MS Producer installed?

Anyway, your problem seems to occur quite often on PC's with a non-US English setting (in particular UK English). I found the following recommendation by Powerpoint MVP <!profile=Echo Swinford>Echo Swinford<!/profile>:
    1. <LI>Go to Control Panel/Date, Time, Language, Regional Settings/Regional and Language Options.
      <LI>In the Regional Options tab, change the Standards and Formats to English (United States), Location to United States
      <LI>In the Languages tab, hit that Details button and change the default input language to English (United States) - US. Set your keyboard to English (United States), too.
      <LI>Also in that Text Services and Input Languages box down at the bottom, make sure you don't have any hotkeys listed under Key Settings.
      <LI>On the Advanced tab set English (United States) for the non-Unicode language.
      <LI>Now reboot.
    If it doesn't help, or if you don't like the effect, repeat steps 1-6 and select the appropriate UK English settings.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans,

Microsoft Producer is installed - does that make a difference?

I will try restting the regional settings but I will need to keep the UK English. US English is not the best when we are working with UK clients! :-) However, it will be later on this evening before I get the chance to do this.

At the end of the day, if there is no adverse knock-on effect, it may be best just to live with the error.

Regards,

Ian

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Microsoft Producer is mentioned as a / the culprit in some newsgroup posts - uninstalling it seems to get rid of the "Error: No Locale Data" item.

I can understand that you don't want to set your PC to US English permanently, but it might be interesting to try it, just to see if it works. The error doesn't seem to harm PowerPoint in other ways, so in the end, living with it until Microsoft comes up with a solution may be best.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I think Hans its because our American cousins can't spell

Colour - color
    Realise - realize

etc.

haha

Steve

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, I'll confirm the "no locale data" thing as a bug. The command on the menu should still work just fine, it simply looks bizarre. It's caused by one of the service packs, if I recall correctly. I'm hoping MS will fix it with another service pack eventually. :-)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, I was fine until I downloaded SP2 and now that message heads the column, the functionality of everything works OK though.

Steve