3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

How To Find Actual Location of Web Files on Server (2000)

I have been maintaining our company Intranet for a while now. Anytime that I've wanted to create a new page the Save In location was already defaulted to the correct network drive. Something happened yesterday and now the default is My Webs on my C drive. I have looked in all of the accessible network drives but cannot find the Web folders. An outside tech moved the folder when installing a new server last year. I never paid attention to the location - dumb me! Can someone tell me how I might find the actual Web files on my network. When I open FrontPage I must select Recent Webs in order to even access my Intranet Web and all that is given is the URL - no drive letter to the network. Does this make sense? Thanks for any help.

Thanks

Re: How To Find Actual Location of Web Files on Server (2000)

I think you are going to need to talk to someone.

Sorry
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

Thanks

FrontPage does seem to work best when you open the web rather than opening pages here and there. If you point FP's Open Web dialog at the top-level URL of the server, you should be able to navigate to the folder you want.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

That is the problem. The URL for the web is not showing in the dialog box. The only thing showing is "Web Folders", which I think is on my C drive.
    Let me tell you what I did as a work-a-round and maybe you can answer a question as to why something else happened.
    I opened my web by selecting File>Recent webs. I did some editing. Then I chose to (Re)"Publish Web" and typed in the URL. My web "saved" with the same URL (which I expected it to do) but with the .html extension. I then went to my desktop and selected the shortcut to my Intranet. This shortcut only brought up my original web, not the one with the editing. I changed the path of the shortcut to point to the URL with the added extension and then it worked. I now have two webs, the only difference being the .html extension. Why when I chose to re-publish did the changes not save to the original web?

Thanks

When you open a web, you're opening a folder rather than a particular file. Even if your list of previously viewed webs doesn't contain your root URL, you can open it by entering its address (e.g., http://www.myserver.com/), assuming you have read/write privileges. At that point, you might see something of a mess. It's very possible for pages to exist with different extensions. So you might have lots of doubles in there... how FrontPage is dealing with this (ignoring the old files or merging them all together in its indexes), I have no idea.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Make an .asp file called testpath.asp and put it on the 'web' you want to 'find'. Put the following as the source of the file:

<%
    response.write request.servervariables("SERVER_NAME")
    %>
    < br >
    <%
    response.write server.mappath("testpath.asp")
    %>
    (You'll need to remove the spaces inside the < br > line, had to add that show it would show up here).
    Then hit that page with your browser. The first line will be the name of the server that is running the website, the second line is the actual path that the .asp file is saved in, on that server.