New Lounger
    Thanks

Excel macros (Excel 2000)

I have an Excel spreadsheet that has many maros in it and it works great until I try to access it through the web. Then it can not perform the intended function (such as opening a workbook). I finally did get it to work behind our firewall by writing a VB program that has an embedded Word document in it that contains a link to the Excel file but even this is not the smoothest way to do this and will not work when I try to tunnel in using a VPN. The line of code that always seem to be the one giving problems is (Workbooks.Open Filename:="CRE1WWWROOTMTBF_WebsiteBook4holdme.xls" ). Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Excel macros (Excel 2000)

If the file is on the web, I think you need the "http://www." to preface the path in the open method

Steve

Thanks

Re: Excel macros (Excel 2000)

In my experience, Excel files with VBA do not work well (or at all) from within a browser. Excel and VBA have been around a long time and never designed to work from a browser. I haven't had to access a file from w/in my VBA projects but they've all failed to run completely. I do a lot with forms and buttons on sheets and have never gotten everything working when run from a browser. If you can get past the workbook open problem, you'll probably see other things that don't work (depending on what exactly your VBA does).

I always have a message next to the .xls file on the web page that displays the file to tell the user they must download it first (otherwise, they click as usual and IE opens it up).

Deb