New Lounger
    Thanks

ado programming (vb)

how can i open 2 ado recordsets in one form, and use the seek command for one of the recordsets. Appreciate if anyone can help me with this. tony

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: ado programming (vb)

You can open as many recordsets as you like, but what do you mean by "in one form"? If you want to *display* multiple recordsets, that's a different question.
    Charlotte

New Lounger
    Thanks

thanks for replying,,,,,how can i open two ado recordsets in one form? i have done it with dao but confused with ado,,,please send me s short example........thanks again,,,tony

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Please tell us what you want to accomplish. Perhaps if you post the ADO code you have now, or the DAO code you used to have, we will be able to help you better. As Charlotte wrote, opening two recordsets is easy in itself:

Dim cnn As New ADODB.Connection
    Dim rst1 As New ADODB.Recordset
    Dim rst2 As New ADODB.Recordset

cnn.Open "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=C:AccessTest.mdb"
    rst1.Open "tblOne", cnn, adOpenKeyset, adLockOptimistic, adCmdTableDirect
    rst2.Open "SELECT Field1, Field2 FROM tblTwo Where Field3 > 100", cnn, adOpenForwardOnly, adCmdText

This opens two recordsets for further manipulation in code; it doesn't display them on the form.

New Lounger
    Thanks

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP, THE CODE WAS SOMETHING I NEEDED. I simply want to use two ado recordset in one form and with the employee-id in one recordset,,,,seek the employee-id in the second recordset and bring back the personal data for the employee, and at the end display that information on the form. Can this be done? Again grateful for your help! tony

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Is this in VB6? I don't have that available at the moment, so somebody else will have to take over.

(In Microsoft Access, this would probably be easier)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm baffled by why you want to use two recordsets if both contain the same key. Why not just do a seek on a single recordset?
    Charlotte

New Lounger
    Thanks

charlotte thanks for all the help i have received and it has been very helpful. Let me see if i can explain,,,,in one recordset the transactions of employees are recorded, but only with employee id or number, and the other recordset has the personal data of the employee. For reports and displaying purposes, I need to access the personal data recordset with a seek instruction, and my procedure says the provider jet engine 3.51 does not provide this indexing. Maybe there is a better and easier way to do this, if so , please advise, again thanks to all the staff and this is truly a great website. Tony

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Can you use the Find method instead of Seek?

Dim rst As New ADODB.Recordset
    Dim lngEmployeeID As Long

lngEmployeeID = ...
    rst.Open ...

rst.Find "EmployeeID = " & lngEmployeeID

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I see. It wasn't clear that the recordsets contained different data and you wanted to display *additional* data from the second recordset. Is there a reason you're using the Jet 3.51 provider? The code Hans posted uses the Jet 4.0 provider, which is a definite improvement over the 3.51 version. Is your database in Access 97?
    Charlotte

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Depending on how you are obtaining these recordsets, I would suggest a more proper method, which is to create a single
    recordset instead, by joining the two tables, shuch as:
    <pre>Select t.TranDate, t.TranAmount, e.EmployeeID, e.EmployeeName _
    From Transactions AS t Inner Join Employees AS e on t.EmployeeID = e.EmployeeID _
    Where .....(put appropriate where conditions here) </pre>

You can then refer to fields in the recordset without having to seek from a second one.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Short Thank You

I am new to this site, and was truly impressed with all the help received on my inquiry, just wanted to thanks all the Staff for the kindness shown, and this is really a great site where questions are fully answered. I am grateful, Tony