4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Using # as a separator in a URL for IE 5.5 (Internet Explorer 5.5)

I use code shown in several posts to always display the Contents, Index, and Search tab from a RoboHelp project when I call a content-sensitive topic:

startpage.htm#content-sensitive topic.htm

For some reason this does not seem to work on a machine that has IE 5.5, but works great on a machine with IE 6.0. Anybody know if this is really an Internet Explorer version issue or if some other security "feature" is at work?

Or is there some other separator that will work other than "#"?

What this code is supposed to do is open the first URL first and then go to the second URL. I strikes me that this might be some security feature of IE 5.5, but I really don't know. Any other work arounds would be appreciated.

Thanks!!
    Troy

P.S. I've tried this on two separate PCs that have IE 5.5 and had the exact same result.

Thanks

Re: Using # as a separator in a URL for IE 5.5 (Internet Explorer 5.5)

I don't use RoboHelp. Is there any way to cross-reference back to Microsoft's official documentation for HTML help to see if there is another supported syntax? Because the # symbol also is used to indicate a bookmark on a page (an <A NAME="gotoMe"> tag), it's a bit confusing to have it also have this second meaning.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Using # as a separator in a URL for IE 5.5 (Internet Explorer 5.5)

I've tried searching for information on this separator, but to no avail. Can you get me pointed in the right direction?

Or can someone tell me another separator I could use? I've tried everything I can think of.

NEW INFORMATION:

The syntax I am trying to use works fine from a link. I could create a simple HTML file containing only a link, where the link is to file:

C:testHelptest.htm#test2testfile.htm

where files exist:

C:testHelptest.htm
    C:testHelptest.htmtest2testfile.htm

and everything comes up as expected. SO it seems this is only an issue if you type in the address box.

So the syntax appears to be correct. This again makes me think there is some other security "feature" that is causing this.

Any ideas on what that might be?

Troy