Lounger
    Thanks

Mail Merge to header (word 2000 and XP)

I need to do a mail merge into a word document and then have folks type additional text. The main merge document is set up with the merge fields in the header of the document. If you go into the merge document after the merge and hit the delete key all of the merged text is deleted and the merge field names are displayed.
    If you display formatting codes you find that a section break is being inserted after the header in the merged document. The cursor is in front of the section break and deleting that break causes the problem.
    Does anyone know a way around this?

Thanks

M

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Mail Merge to header (word 2000 and XP)

When you perform a mail merge, each record in the data source becomes a separate section. This is necessary because you can put merge fields in the page header and footer; this requires that the page header and footer can be different from record to record. Page headers and footers are bound to sections, so in order to have different headers and footers you need to have different sections.

If you only have merge fields in the page header, and leave the body of the main merge document empty, the body of the merge document will only contain a section break for each record in the data source. Pressing Delete will delete one of these section breaks, which means that the header and footer associated with it are deleted too. This is the way Word works.

I can't explain why the merge field names would be ever displayed in the merged document; they should not be present there at all.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I get the same behavior that you describe, but I agree with Hans, that is how Word is designed to work. As far as the field names, I think what is happening is that as you delete each section break, the associated section header is deleted, as Hans mentions. When you delete the last section break, the final paragraph mark must still have the header information, although there is no record to merge. What's left is the text of the mergefield.

In any event, if you want to type text after you do a merge, the user simply starts typing. If you want, you can put a single macrobutton field in your main document by pressing Ctrl+F9 to insert field braces & then type inside so it looks like this:

{macrobutton nomacro "Type text here"}
    Cheers,

Lounger
    Thanks

Phil
    I appreciate you and Hans looking at this. I think I understand what you are saying about the section breaks. I was trying your suggestion but I must be missing something. I do the ctrl f9 and enter exactly what you indicate. It inserts a field in the merge document that says "Type text here". However the cursor is in front of the field and that field moves as I enter data.
    Any idea what I am doing wrong?

Thanks

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Your not doing anything wrong. That's exactly what should happen. I guess I wasn't clear about the alternatives. If you want, you don't need any field; you can just start typing. If you use the field, then you click on the field & THEN type. That's what I meant by "Type text here". You can change that to "Click here & type" if you like.

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the help!

M