2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Map Drive through internet

I am looking for an easy, low cost, not high security way to map and access a drive on my home computer through an internet connection. The VPN applications I looked at seem too complex.
    Home machine is XP Home and a Microsoft wireless router.
    remote machine is Laptop with Windows 98
    I want to access a multi user database that works fine from home as a mapped drive. I want to access it from afar.
    Sites tutorials, software or directions would be appreciated.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Map Drive through internet

Here's a couple you might want to check out for starters. RealVNC is free and was originally an AT&T project. The folks at the educational television network where I used to work still use VNC to remotely access their servers and such. I tried it a few years ago and the only thing I didn't like was that it had no file transfer capability. I haven't used it lately. Presently, I own a copy of RADMIN (Remote Administrator) and have used it for several years, quite happily. It will do file transfers but is NOT free. I tried just now to visit the link I'm providing you to see what the latest price is, but the above link wouldn't respond. Hopefully they're just down for a bit, so I pass it on anyway. If I find out something worse, I'll edit this post. Radmin is fairly easy to use.

Thanks

> I want to access a multi user database

How do you plan to access it (e.g., what application) and how big is the file? You might find that performance is unacceptable if you have to open an Access MDB file over the Internet or to perform table joins. On the other hand, if you are using remote control software (e.g., the above-mentioned VNC) or making SQL requests to MSDE, the slow link probably will be okay because the bulk of the processing will happen on the home machine.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Both these seem to be remote CONTROL packages taking over a remote machine. I actually want to be able to access and use the main machine just as it is at home with both computers using the same multi user database. There may be a problem with speed over the internet as indicated by the next post which is why I don't want to spend a lot of $ on a program that won't work.
    I want to access a program called Kwik Find which does use and MBD file for it data. I just want to be able to map the data drive on the home computer into the remote compter. i need to have one person able to work on the main computer and someon else remote log into the data without disrupting the balance of the tasks.

Gaddy

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

It seems to me that it'll be a matter of whether the program in question, whether Kwik Find or other, will ALLOW two simultaneous accesses to the same database file. I'm not active in database software, so I don't know how that scenario will go for you, remotely or even if you were on two separate machines on a local LAN. With that in mind, I CAN tell you that in the time I've been using Radmin, I've had sessions with my son where I've remotely (client) accessed his machine (server) to help him out with things. We've had telephone contact while I "tutored" him in what we were doing. During those times, we have both performed operations on the computer, but NOT simultaneously. Obviously, you're right in that it IS after all remote control software. Sorry, but I don't have anything else to recommend.