2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Word 97 headers (Word 97/SR-2)

Last night I finished a report narrative and needed to also complete an affidavit which I wanted to be a part of the report narrative. I inserted a section break to begin on the next page, inserted my affidavit file (which contains fields in which I can select or enter information) in the new section, and set the headers in the inserted file to be "not the same as previous" so as not to conflict with the header set up in the narrative document, I noticed that I had NO headers in either document. I used the "Undo" button several times to get back to my initial narrative document, then minimized that document and completed the affidavit file separately. I then tried to insert the completed affidavit file into a new section of the narrative file, setting the affidavit header to be "not the same as previous" so that it's header would not conflict with the narrative header, and AGAIN had no headers in the resulting (combined) document.

What must I do to combine two documents/files while keeping their respective headers intact? Also, as an aside, how may I get the footers to reflect separate page numbering for each document/file rather than having the inserted documents/files pick up the page numbering where the previous/initial document left off?

Thanks

Re: Word 97 headers (Word 97/SR-2)

Steve, I haven't experimented with this very much, but I always used Insert>File to insert the text into another file. After that point, the original was out of the picture and any changes in there would not be picked up in the combined file.

As you probably know, section formatting, such as headers, footers, margins, etc., is stored in the section break that follows a section. In the case of the last section of the document, it is the "paragraph symbol" that stores this information. When you Insert>File, it's possible that the formatting of the final section does not carry over. To try to make it carry over, please try this experiment:
    1. <LI>Insert a section break at the end of your "main" document and set the new section to the desired header and footer properties (i.e., not linked to previous).
      <LI>Insert a section break at the end of your affidavit file.
      <LI>Insert the affidavit file into the new section in the main document. This may leave one or two "blank" sections at the end.
    Does this solve the header/footer problem?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Word 97 headers (Word 97/SR-2)

Hi Steve:
    Hmmm. Word 2000 works the way you would wanted. If I insert a section break in my target document, regardless of whether I set the header to "same as previous" or not, I get the following, using either select all, copy & paste or Insert/File:
    1. If the target section is blank, EVEN if it has a header, the source text & header are inserted into that section. This is what you wanted.
    2. If the target section isn't blank, the source text is inserted, but not the source header.

In neither case did I lose my original target header. I haven't experimented with odd-even headers or first page headers. Still, I find the behavior a bit of a puzzle. When you use Insert/File, it's like copying & pasting everything EXCEPT the last paragraph mark. However, in this case, it behaved as if I did copy the last source paragraph mark.

To have separate page numbering for the Affadavit:
    In the Header/Footer dialog box, there is a button for page formatting (looks like a hand holding a piece of paper). Format the page number to start at 1 for that section, rather than continue from the previous section. If you need the number of pages in that section, use the {Numpages} field.
    Hope this helps,