Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Normal Template (2000 SP3)

I just installed Office 2000 on a new XPP machine and I can't find the Normal.dot so I can rename it and replace it with one I want to use. I know it is supposed to be in the "Application DataMicrosoftTemplates" folder but it just doesn't seem to exist. I can use Word to open the Normal.dot template I want and everything is there that I am used to but I can't get it to keep it. So how do I replace the normal.dot when I can't find it by searching or drilling down. Even the "templates" folder doesn't seem to exist. Please see the attachment.

Or if I could get Word to keep the normal.dot template that I can open and use it as its default that would also do the trick but I can't figure that out either.

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    H Lewton

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Normal Template (2000 SP3)

When you have just installed Word, there is no Normal.dot yet. Word uses the factory settings. As soon as you modify one of the items that is stored in Normal.dot, such as a toolbar or keyboard customization, an AutoText entry, etc., Word should save a copy of Normal.dot when you quit it. If you have the "Prompt to save Normal template" setting checked, Word should ask for confirmation before doing so.

It seems strange, however, that there is no Templates folder. Are you sure that you are looking under the correct user?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

To find the templates folder, open Word & go to Tools/Options/File Locations & look for the user templates folder. If you click on Modify, you should be able to see & copy the entire path. Then you can paste it into Windows Explorer & put your normal.dot in there.
    Hope this helps,

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you guys that worked very well.
    H Lewton