3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Best Way To Use Access via Web Pages (2000/2002/2003)

I have an Access database that contains tables which form a Data Dictionary of information about a database program my company uses in SQL Server. yes you can store meta data info in SQL Server but we wanted more details than what SQL Server can handle so we setup an Access database containing the metadata. What I am trying to do now is find the best way to present the data stored in the MDB file via a browser. I have Front Page and have played around with it some but either the book I'm using sucks when it comes to FP and DB access or FP just isn't that good with database access which I find hard to believe. The layout I would like is for the first page to list all the table names along with their decriptions and each table name is a link to another page that shows the table and all of the columns in that table. On this page the column name is a link to a page that gives detailed info about that column. I would also like better control of placement of the fields on the screen than what a basic table offers.
    Again I have played around with this but found the database access options to be severly limiting. I am using the DB Results wizard in FP so maybe that is the problem, I do not know. I am willing to take the time to learn FP in detail if it is worth doing so. I wasn't sure if this post should go in the Access section or the FP section and since I did not want to cross post I choose the Access section as I am not set on using FP only that it is what I have tried so far. If Data Access Pages are good candidates then I'm open to that as well.

Thanks In Advance
    Ed

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Best Way To Use Access via Web Pages (2000/2002/2003)

I don't think Front Page is the right tool for what you want to do. In point of fact, what you are trying to do is to create dynamic hyperlinks which change based on the result returned from the database. You should probably investigate either ASP or ASP.net to do what you want to do. Even then it isn't a trivial exercise. If I were going to tackle this, I would probably look at an ActiveX treeview control to let me drill down and get details, but web pages with treeviews are a significant challenge. Just out of curiosity, what was it that you wanted to store that SQL Server couldn't handle - I've been working with it for 10 years, and haven't found anything that Access could store that SQL can't also store?
    Wendell