Star Lounger
    Thanks

Keyword Search (A2K)

Hello all and Thank You in advance for any help.

I know I have seen the topic discussed on a previous thread but cannot remember how recent. Is there a way to do a keyword search here or is it better to post a message?

Thank you again.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Keyword Search (A2K)

Unfortunately the search facility for the Lounge is currently turned off because of performance issues - see the Words from On High. So at the moment you are better off posting a message.
    Wendell

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Wendell,

I have a form that I created a combo box on where I'd to try and simplfy data entry. This combo box is created from a previous table that was imported into this DB. What I am trying to do with this is if I select a customer account number from the combo box it autofills the address, town, state and zip text fields.

I know I saw an answer on here previously however I can't say how long ago.

Thanks for any links or help you can provide .

Super Moderator
    Thanks

There are a couple of ways that come to mind - I quickly scanned recent posts and didn't find anything to point you to. But there is a significant question here - why do you want to populate that data into more than one record? The general advice is never to store the same information in more than one place - otherwise when it changes, you have to change it everywhere it occurs instead of once. There are some specific exceptions to that rule, but they don't occur very often.

In any event the two options I would suggest:
    1. <LI>Set the combo box to have a row source that includes the pertinent address info, and run an event procedure on AfterUpdate that populates the appropriate text boxes using the Me!MyCombo.Column(n) syntax.
      <LI>Create a recordset based on the table that contains the customer address info using DAO or ODA and specify that it return the one record identified by the customer ID, and then in an AfterUpdate event procedure, take the values from the fields in the selected record and populate that text boxes.
    Hope this helps, but think about the issue of storing address info in each record that is being data entered.
    Wendell

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks again Wendell,

I think what you are saying is to "LINK" to the other DB where the account information comes from?

However I will try both your suggestions to see what fits best.

Thanks again!

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I certainly would lean strongly toward linking to the database that contains the account information. That allows you to always have current information, and if you need to add a new account from your database it's much easier. I presumed from your earlier post that the table had been imported into the current database, but if you are working with data from another application, you are nearly always better off if you can link to it and have current data. As I indicated, I would look very carefully at your table design also. If you are storing address information in multiple places, that usually means your database design hasn't been normalized.
    Wendell