New Lounger
    Thanks

Two Questions (Access 2000)

Question #1:

I use Access to clean-up the data and then import to Excel so that the data is user friendly and pretty; i.e., add graphs, etc. Hence, I am familiar with reports but, for my purposes, I find it somewhat cumbersome. That being said, is there a query that would allow me to do a subtotal?

Question #2:

I have three Excel files that are linked to an Access database. A co-worker told me that if I move the folder to a different location, the links to the Excel files will no longer work. If that were the case, would there be a way to re-link the Excel files?

Thanks - GCB

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Two Questions (Access 2000)

Question#2:

Your co-worker is correct. The path to linked tables (which may be in another Access database, or in an Excel workbook, ...) is hard-coded and it is not relative. The Tools | Database Utilities | Linked Table Manager menu option lets you re-link tables interactively. If you want to do it in VBA, see MSKB article ACC2000: How to Relink Back-End Tables with the Common Dialog Control

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Two Questions (Access 2000)

Question #1:

If you want a query in Access to display something like the result of Data | Subtotals in Excel, forget it. That is not the way queries work. This functionality is provided by reports, which have extensive sorting and grouping capabilities.

But if you want to clean the data in Access and then export (?) them to Excel, why do the subtotals in Access? I would use Data | Subtotals in Excel for that.