2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

forms not recognized (2002)

I have an access database with a bunch of hidden forms and 1 visible one. In code, the Forms collection only recognizes the existence of the visible form. I created another form, made it visible, and still, the Forms collection won't recognize it. However, if I use DoCmd.OpenForm with the name of this form, it will open. How can I get the forms collection to recognize it so that I can manipulate its properties in code?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: forms not recognized (2002)

Whether the forms are visible or hidden is irrelevant... The Forms Collections only recognizes forms that are currently Open... If you want to manipulate the forms properties by code, you'll have to (I believe...) open the form (visible or invisible as needed) before doing what you need to do...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The forms collection applies to open forms, not those in the database window. If you post the code you're trying to use someone will be able to help you straighten it out. Access 2002 has an AllForms collection, which is not the same as the Forms collection, and you can loop through the AllForms collection and using DAO through the forms container, so please let us know the details.
    Charlotte

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Before opening the form that I call "General Form", I want to change some of its properties by using code like this:
    forms("General Form").DataEntry = False
    I then want to open the form using DoCmd.OpenForm "General Form" (or whatever else works).

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I just tried the AllForms collection. It does contain my form ('general form'), but provides very limited access to it. How do I use this handle on my form to change things such as the DAtaEntry property?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for letting me know that the Forms collection only contains open forms. With this knowledge, I came up with a workaround that I can live with. I change the properties of the form after opening it. It all happens so quickly that the user is not aware of it.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

An alternative is to use the DataMode argument of DoCmd.OpenForm; this can be set to acFormEdit, acFormAdd and acFormReadOnly. If you omit it, the form will use the settings from the Properties window. Look up OpenForm in the VBA help for details.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Hans. The datamode argument would help me for the DAtaEntry property, but not for the other ones that I wanted to change e.g. NavigationButtons.