New Lounger
    Thanks

User level security on multiple computers (2000/2002)

I have created a Access database in 2000 version with user level security. I want to use this database on a LAN, so I have the data (tables) stored on my file server and the program itself I am loading on each computer. Most of the computers I am trying to put this program on are version 2002. When I transfer the program to the new computer, the program doesn't work because the security file doesn't transfer. I've read that the security file is engrained in the registry. If this is the case, is there any way for me to copy this security file to other computers? Am I going to have to redo the security file on each computer individually (a VERY time consuming process!)???

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: User level security on multiple computers (2000/2002)

The permissions each user has are stored in the database itself; the definitions of users and groups are stored in a workgroup file; this is a file with extension .mdw.

You should place this workgroup file on the LAN too, for example in the same folder as the database. Create a shortcut that opens the database together with the workgroup file. The target of this shortcut should look like this, with the appropriate paths and file names substituted:

"C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOffice10MSAccess.exe" "serversharefolderMyDatabase.mdb" /wrkgrp "serversharefolderSecure.mdw"

New Lounger
    Thanks

That seems to work somewhat. I am able to log in with my username (as I am the administrator and owner of the program), however all of the other users I added to the program aren't in the security file. Do I need to do something similar with the SYSTEM.MDW file? I'm not sure where the other users would have been stored, but they don't seem to be with the SECURE.MDW file.

This is definitely a step in the right direction. Thank you.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

When you define users etc., this is always stored in a .mdw file. Unless you explicitly created and joined a new workgroup file before doing so, this will be the default System.mdw. So if you haven't created an .mdw file, you should copy your System.mdw to the network. If you created a new .mdw before defining users and groups, you should use that .mdw file.
    The way to activate security is to set a password for the Admin user. This will make Access display a prompt for username and password when you open the database, allowing the user to fill in a username.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Well, I copied the System.mdw file from the file where the users were created (for the 1st computer) to the same folder where that file would normally create itself (for the 2nd computer). That didn't work. So I tried copying the system.mdw file to the network and then opening in the same fashion as the secure.mdw (as part of the shortcut), but that didn't seem to work. While we used the shortcut "/wrkgrp" for the secure.mdw file, do we need a similar abbreviation to be able to start up the system.mdw file?

Thanks again for your help.

Adam

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

/wrkgrp is a startup switch that tells Access to use the filename after it as workgroup file instead of the default workgroup file whose name is stored in the user's registry. The target for the shortcut is

path_to_msaccess.exe <font color=red>path_to_mdb</font color=red> /wrkgrp <font color=448800>path_to_mdw</font color=448800>

If this doesn't work for you, you may be using the wrong .mdw, or perhaps you haven't set up security and/or the .mdw correctly. I wouldn't know how to troubleshoot this from a distance. It might be better to redo security from scratch, if possible. See The Secrets of Security on <!profile=WendellB>WendellB<!/profile>'s website, and download Microsoft's comprehensive Security FAQ.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Well, using the shortcut you reccommended, I can open the program fine with myself as the owner of the database (as opposed to Admin) which is how I set it up. I've located my system.mdw file which contains all of my user information that I've created. My question is: How do I ensure that the database is looking at the correct system.mdw file. I've put the file in the same folder as the program, and I've also put the file on my LAN in the same folder as the secure.mdw file. So, I know the secure.mdw file is loading (with that shortcut), but if you know someway to make sure the system.mdw file loads with the program, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks again.

Adam

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You must provide all users with a shortcut that opens the database together with the secured workgroup file. When they open the database by means of this shortcut, they will have to provide a user name and password.

If you have followed the advice given in the Security FAQ, you will have taken away most or all permissions from the built-in Admin user, so that if a user opens the database directly, without using the shortcut, he/she can do nothing or almost nothing.