Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows XP/DOS (XP)

Is it possible to run cmd.exe with a .bat file as a startup option? I can set the start folder for cmd.exe but it ignores my attempts to run a batch file. Only when I type in the name of the batch file on the command level will it work. I am trying to combine the two into one shortcut.

Thanks for any help in advance.

deutsch

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Windows XP/DOS (XP)

As I understand, you want (a) to run bat file on startup and ([img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img] keep command prompt window open after the file executes. To accomplish (a) just create a shortcut to the bat file in Startup folder, to accomplish ([img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img] add the line PAUSE (i.e. the line with the text "pause") at the end of the file. If you want to re-use command window, add CMD line instead.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry, I see where my question was confusing. I want to be able to run cmd.exe with a startup option. In other words, I want to double click on the cmd.exe shortcut on the desktop and run the batchfile at the same time. Right now, I double click on cmd.exe shrtcut, it opens up a dos window in the folder that I specified, but I still need to type in the name of the batchfile to execute it. Is it possible to combine the two into one?
    Thank you very much for your help!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I'm also confused, but why don't you just make a shortcut out of your BATch file by right-clicking on it in Explorer and selecting "Create Shortcut"? Then you could (if you want) move it to the desktop. When you double-click on it, that will cause CMD.EXE to be loaded and run your BATch file. Or are you trying to pass parameter(s) to your BATch file?
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

I had no problem doing this with a shortcut located in the User Startup folder. Shortcut's target should read like this example:

C:WINDOWSSYSTEM32CMD.EXE /k C:Test.bat

Note the "/k" switch ensures the Command window stays open (if that's what you want, otherwise use "/c"). When created shortcut I just entered "CMD.EXE" when saved shortcut Windows apparently adds the complete path to CMD.EXE. In test restarted Windows, the command window opened & executed batch file (test file that just displayed some text on screen) & stayed open for further commands.

HTH

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

For anyone interested, this would also work in Win2K.
    Granville