Star Lounger
    Thanks

Subwebs (2000/SP-3)

Are subwebs a reasonable option to segregate portions of a web? E.g., Buyers sent to one sub web, Sellers sent to another, Community information yet another, all linked by a root web. The reason I ask is that I use shared borders and would like different options for each group.

The subweb option seems simple and allows me to configure the navigation bar to my liking, but I want to find out more about using subwebs before I spend a bunch of time just to find out it's a mess.

Thanks
    Wil

Thanks

Re: Subwebs (2000/SP-3)

I've used subwebs to isolate site search indexes from one another; I have no idea how they interact with shared borders.

When you save a page in a subweb, it may want to copy assets from another web, e.g., linked images. This is a bit inefficient, duplicating those assets, but at least in FP2000, I couldn't figure out how to make it stop asking me this EVERY TIME I SAVE A PAGE. It was very annoying.

Thanks

Did you try server side includes?
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

Thanks

> Did you try server side includes?

I don't remember what server side includes are. Is that when you use a .shtml extension? If so, I tried it for a while but switched to ASP for that project.

Thanks

I wouldn't presume to know everything about includes. Right now I'm using snippets of asp code called in the following manner:
    <pre>in angle brackets !--#include virtual ="../includes/contact.asp"--
    </pre>

The asp file could reference graphics or other things. I've seen this done before on very large websites (Transport Canada ). It was an interesting scenario because they wanted to distribute the use of FP across the organization to people who were not web authors, but retain a standard look and feel. They created standard pages with the "look" and the users dropped their content in using FP. The only drawback was that they couldn't use FP templates, because the template changes all the links (including the path the include files) to be relative to the current web. So it was back to the classic copy/paste into a sample document. It will be interesting to see if MS comes up with a method for helping customers with the latest version of FP.
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

New Lounger
    Thanks

Catharine -
    Mind you I haven't used it yet, but the latest version of FrontPage (2003) has what are called "Dynamic Web Templates", which is probably what you are looking for:
    <hr>FrontPage 2003 has added support for much richer Web site templates than it has had in the past. You can create multiple templates, each containing multiple content regions, and apply these to pages in your Web site. When authoring a page linked to a template, the user is prevented from changing those parts of the page that come from the template. When you update the template file, those changes are automatically propagated to the pages linked to that template. If the editable regions have changed on the template, you simply use FrontPage 2003 to map the regions.

Further, Dynamic Web Templates are syntax compatible with templates from Macromedia Dreamweaver 4, so you can easily move your Dreamweaver Web site to FrontPage 2003 or work with Macromedia Dreamweaver users on a single site.
    <hr>

Thanks

Hmmm sounds like Dreamweaver...
    WebGenii Home Page