New Lounger
    Thanks

Underlines (Word 2003)

Greetings,
    I have what I hope is a simple question. I want to be able to put underlines in some templates I'm creating but I don't know the best way to do it. If I use the underline character then when someone goes to fill in information whatever they are typing replaces the underline. I tried using 'borders & shading' but that makes a line across the entire page. For example, one line on a template may read: Case number: _________. I can't figure out how to create custom underlines that don't get screwed up when someone types in some information. Any ideas? Thank you for your help.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Underlines (Word 2003)

One way to do it is to create a table, say with two columns and one row for each item. Put the caption (description, question) in the first column, and set a bottom border for the cell in the second column.

See attached screenshot. It displays the same table twice, first with table gridlines hidden, and below it with table gridlines visible.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: png x.PNG (1.7 KB, 0 views)

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

This article by Suzanne Barnhill, MVP & Dave Rado, MVP should tell you everything you want to know about underlines. Selecting a tab & underlining it may prove to be the best way for you.
    Cheers,

New Lounger
    Thanks

Awesome! I tried the table method and that works perfectly. Thank you very much for the help!