Lounger
    Thanks

New Folder in Start Menu (XP)

I would like to add a new folder to the start menu and put some stray shortcuts in it. To be specific, I want to create a folder called "Microsoft" and put those stray shortcuts (Excel, Word, FrontPage, etc..) in there. I know how to create the folder, but I can't figure out how to get the shortcuts into it. I can't drag them in there and I can't find them using the Explorer window.

Any help is appreciated!

RR

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: New Folder in Start Menu (XP)

Try right clicking the Start button and choosing Open or Explore. This will get explorer to open pointing to the user specific start menu.
    You can also use "Explore all users" to get to the common start menu.

Alternatively

Right click the Taskbar > Properties > Start Menu > Customize > Advanced > Enagle dragging and dropping
    will let you use drag and drop within the start menu.

StuartR

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Your start menu is merged from two folders: Cocuments and SettingsAll UsersStart Menu contains items that are seen by all users on the computer, and Cocuments and Settings<your user name>Start Menu contains your "personal" start menu items. Submenus are ordinary folders (not hidden, as far as I know), and menu items are ordinary shortcuts. If you right-click the Start button, you'll see items to explore both: Explore means explore your personal start menu, and Explore All Users means ... well, you get the idea. You should be able to copy shortcuts into either of these folders or their subfolders. You can also drag a shortcut to the Start button, wait until the start menu opens, then drag it to the position where you want it, and drop it.

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your reply. I already have drag and drop enabled, but while I can move the shortcuts around, I cannot drop them "into" the folder, if you see what I mean. I can move them on top of or below the folder, but not into it. If I open an explorer window, I cannot find the shortcuts. I see some folders, but no shortcuts. Baffling.

RR

Lounger
    Thanks

Ok...I see what you mean. I t hink I'm missing the "explore all users" option, but I think I see a way around it.

Thanks,
    RR

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You probably need to have Administrator permissions to be able to edit the All Users start menu.