New Lounger
    Thanks

Template will not save (Word 2000 9.0.4402 SR1)

All my Word documents which are based on templates are messes up. When I view the template it looks fine but after I put info in the document and save it the saved document is all messed up showing format info etc. Even old documents based on templates are messed up. This happened after I installed a copy of Open Office ver 1.1. I played around with Open Office for a whle then uninstalled it. It seems to have corrupted all my Word documents based on templates both old and new. Is there any way I can restore these templates in Word? I am desperate as I have hundreds of docs affected.

Cheeos
    Seoras

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Template will not save (Word 2000 9.0.4402 SR1

It's a little difficult to figure out what "messed up" means exactly. Could you be more specific?

If you are talking about formatting changing, make sure that:
    Tools/Templates & add-ins/Automatically update document styles is NOT checked.
    Format/Styles/ & for each style that Modify/Automatically update is NOT checked.
    Tools/Autocorrect.../Autoformat as you type/ doesn't have check marks by items that are changing.

If you can't save documents, except as templates, then you have a virus & need an up-to-date virus checker.
    Hope this helps,

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi,
    thanks for the reply. By messed up I mean that documents which are based on a Word template which has a set of tables (e.g. and invoice) the various fields in the the tables are filled with data, but all that is visible in the saved document is the data not the tables and the structure of the document. Although when I select New / Template the template itself looks OK, I input the data and save the document, but when I open the document again the template format is gone. This is really weird as the documents still look fine in Open Office but in Word they don't.

Open Office has definitely done something to Word which is preventing it from displaying documents based on templates correctly.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Have a look at
    Tools > Options > Save > Save data only for forms
    and make sure that it isn't checked.

StuartR

Thanks

> the documents still look fine in Open Office but in Word they don't.

Make sure that in your File>Open dialog, you are not using the "Recover text from any file (*.*)" file type. That will remove all the formatting from what you see on screen, and ruin your original if you save over it.

BTW, I have StarOffice 6, same as OpenOffice.org 1.x, and haven't had the problem you describe.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Jefferson the "Recover text from any file (*.*)" was selected in the Open dialogue box, can't think how I missed that one. All my documents are now back to normal.

Many thanks to all your help guys.
    Seoras.