New Lounger
    Thanks

Union Query (Access 97)

I'm working with an Access 97 database that's combining information from about a dozen tables into one big query for a report. Due to slight differences in the data that will be placed into the categories, each table is a different category (one for personnel infractions, one for equipment check, etc.), but all the information is pulled together into one report. My users want to see all the categories (i.e. table names) at once, even if there is no data in that category. Seems to me that due to the nature of the union query, that's not possible. Anyone have any ideas on how to include everything, even if there's nothing to display?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Union Query (Access 97)

You need a table or query that contains one record for each distinct category. If you already have such a table, use that, otherwise, create a table or query for this purpose.

Next, create a new query, add the Categories table or query and the union query. Join them on the Category identifier (ID, name, ...). Make it into a left join, i.e. make it display all records from the Categories table/query.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

You will need to base your Union query on other queries, rather than directly on tables. Each of these other queries must use an OuterJoin between the tables to ensure that at least 1 record is returned.
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks! I created a table with the category names as records, then did the left join. At first it wasn't working, but then I realized I had to pull the category names from the table of names and not my union query. My boss and I thank you!!!