2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Modifying Multiple User Registry Settings (WinXP Professional)

I want to modify some registry settings (such as modifying the Windows Open/Save common dialog boxes) on a machine that has multiple users.

What is the best approach so that I only have to make these changes once?

Do I make them in the HKEY_USERS.DEFAULT hive or would I make them in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE hive?

Most printed 'tips' use HKEY_CURRENT_USER, assuming that only one person uses a machine.

Thanks.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Modifying Multiple User Registry Settings (Win

For permanent access to such options, you might like to try this:<UL><LI>Go to the Administrative Tools folder in Control Panel. Copy any one of the icons. (I prefer dragging & dropping with CTRL & the left mouse button pressed down.)<LI>Rename the copy Group Policy.<LI>Open up the Properties and make it point to gpedit.msc. (The rest of the address is unchanged.) You will probably want to change the icon.<LI>Open up Group Policy.<LI>For the Common Dialog Control, go to User Configuration|Administrative Templates|Windows Components|Windows Explorer|Common Options. <LI>You may well find a number of other options you will want to configure.<LI>FWIW you can also add Device Manager to the Administrative Tools folder - devmgmt.msc. That can also save a fair amount of time.[/list]Hope This Helps
    Gre

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Modifying Multiple User Registry Settings (WinXP Professional)

HKEY_USERS.DEFAULT is the "template" for new users -- it has no effect on users whose profile have already been created.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER means what it says, the keys specific to the currently-logged-on user.

HKEY_USERS is the list of "possible" users, plus the .DEFAULT template. One of the SIDs (the long string of numbers starting S-1-5-...) will match the Current User.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE also means what it says, information about the local machine.

It is usually a matter of guesswork (or experience!) whether the key you're after is in HKLM or in HKCU.
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...