New Lounger
    Thanks

accessing 'my computer' a lengthly process (XP)

Each time I access 'my computer' it is taking for ever to come up with any information. It is a Sony Laptop, 2.4 processor, 512 RAM with a 40Gb HDD.

Any suggestions with why this could be happening. Everything seems to be OK when accessing

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: accessing 'my computer' a lengthly process (XP)

Do you mean when you go to "Start, and select My Computer" ? If so, are you on a network and/or have any "Mapped" drives, is it is trying to find ALL of them.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks

In the Hardware Device area it show two network adapters which are enabled (not sure if that is any help, however ...)
    I do got start, my computer and it takes about 60 seconds before coming up with anything.

Have checked both drives that don't indicate any mapping of anysort, However with the network adapters they have both been enabled. (its often been used in the UK, so not sure of their settings). Hope this helps some?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: accessing 'my computer' a lengthly process (XP

Following up on Dave's question, open Windows Explorer, Tools, Folder Options, View. Make sure there's not a checkmark in the box shown in this attachment. See if that helps. If not, we'll have to look some more.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanx for that. Have tried what you suggested, however has failed to work any faster. It has also been metioned to remove the effect from the desktop, of which I cannot find, and it only has a picture as its background.

Any other suggestions?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

While I'm thinking about other avenues to try and we're waiting to see if someone else chimes in, how about trying something? If you open Windows Explorer using the WinKey-E combination, approximately how long does it take for the Explorer window to open?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Is this problem accessing 'my computer' on the same computer referenced on the same date in this Windows did not start sucessfuly Post 309577? Because if you can't boot up to Windows, I'm trying to reconcile how problems with My Computer opening slowly are coming up?

SMBP

Thanks

Krista,

Don't know if this will have any relevance to your situation or not, but it might be worth a try. My device manager also displays 2 network adapters (brand new Dell 4600). These were both set up to "show icon in notification area when connected". The one adapter displayed as "connected" but the other adapter always displayed "network cable un-plugged". This machine took, on average, approximately two and a half minutes to boot to full functionality after I clicked on my profile in the welcome screen (XP Pro). If I clicked on ANY task or application before this time, an hourglass would appear but the application would not load until this period of time had elapsed. I tried, using MSConfig, to eliminate anything that might be starting up and slowing the boot process. No Luck.

A few weeks ago, in a lucky stroke of genius, I decided to "Disable" the network adapter that displayed the "network cable un-plugged" message. BINGO! The system is now fully functional in less than 30 seconds. I assume that the system was trying to establish some sort of network connection through this "un-plugged cable". I only have one physical network adapter installed in the computer, and I have no idea what the other one is, but as soon as I disabled it, my problems were solved. I suggest that you try disabling your network adapters, one a a time, to see if this might solve your problem. Good Luck.

Regards,

John
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I don't know if you are having a problem (a 60 second or more delay) accessing My Computer on the same Sony laptop you were having a problem starting that took you to the Windows Advanced Options menu, but if it was, you must be beyond that menu-- and booting must no long be a problem. If not this must be another Sony laptop.

At any rate, you might get some help from this regedit at Kelly's Tweaks: Restore My Computer Line 291 Right Side. These tweaks are time tested and this should not have a down side, but I'd set a System Restore Point before running it if you do. The tweaks get high volume use on the MSN XP NG's.

hth,

SMBP