New Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook 2003 and Active X (Office 2003)

I decided to stop using Word as my e-mail editor and use Outlook's built-in editor. The only problem is that I get a warning message saying that my current security settings prevent Active X controls from running. This seems to be triggered by my signature file. However, my signature file is text only: just lines of my address and a web site URL. When the signature is inserted a blank icon is inserted just above it, and I assume that this is what the editor will not display. I can't work out what it is in the file that is triggering this, and I don't really want to lift the security restrictions on incoming messages with Active X controls.

The blank icon can be cut to the clipboard, but isn't visible there and can't be pasted into anything else. By 'blank', I mean just a small square with a dot (not a red cross) in the middle of it.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Re: Outlook 2003 and Active X (Office 2003)

Each different mail format (text, HTML, rich text) has its own signature file in your Signatures folder (it's a long way down under c:documents and settings<username>Application DataMicrosoft). Open up the .txt version and check it out, if you're sending a text format message. etc.

Note: SmartTags will cause this error if you are using Word-generated HTML.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Outlook 2003 and Active X (Office 2003)

Thanks, that's very helpful. It was Word-generated HTML, so I guess that is what went wrong: Microsoft Outlook treats Microsoft Word HTML as 'insecure'!

I have now cut and pasted the text only into a new signature file and have used that succesfully.