2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

print Word doc within Access report (97 SR2)

I would like to print multi-page Word documents and/or Excel worksheets within an Access report (actually a subreport). I can't use the image control as it doesn't support .doc and .xls file types. I'm trying to use the bound object control with the control source being an OLE Object field in my report's record source. I have sized the height of the detail section of the report to 20" to permit room for the multi-page Word doc to print, since there is no Can Grow property for the bound object control. When I print the report only the first page of the Word doc appears. How can I get all of the Word doc to print. I want to print this report in Access as a subreport inside a parent report that contains other subreports and then create a Snapshot file of it.
    Any help would be very appreciated,
    Jon

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: print Word doc within Access report (97 SR2)

Similar questions come up from time to time. As far as I know, there is no satisfactory solution. You'd have to paste each page of the document as a picture. Perhaps a PDF is a better solution than a snapshot.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Hans
    I was beginning to come to this conclusion, as well. These Word or Excel documents are created by non-users of the Access database, yet we would like to incorporate them into the database and then include them as part of a large specification manual, which then would be printed/Snapshot(ted). Also, there are read-only users of the database that print the specification manuals so I need the solution to be one that's reproducible at the click of a button.
    Thanks again,
    Jon

Super Moderator
    Thanks

You might take a serious look at using Automation to create a Word document, based on using RTF fields in your database. Do you have heavy formatting with borders, shading and grahics to contend with? If you do you might want to look at other approaches, such as keeping the document in Word, and simply importing data into a new document, still driven with Access.
    Wendell

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Wendell,
    Thanks for the suggestions. There is heavy formatting involved, with many JPEG and GIF images being printed via Image controls plus shading and borders. There are eleven subreports currently included in the main report that I wish to add the new subreport to. I don't relish the idea of reproducing them in Word via Automation.
    Thanks for the help,
    Jon

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't think mixing Word documents and Excel workbooks into an Access report is a realistic option. I would keep them apart; if necessary, you can provide links to the documents and workbooks from your Access database.

Alternatively, you could write VBA code that prints a document, then a report, then a workbook, then another report, etc. This can all be done from Access.