New Lounger
    Thanks

Where is the problem? (6.0.2800.1106)

I've been having a problem logging onto a single website, which fact gives you a hint of where the answer probably lies. I can view all the public pages on this site, but when I try to login, nothing happens and eventually I get "Cannot find server or DNS Error Internet Explorer". Interestingly enough, if I have a friend at another ISP login using my information, he can get onto the website. Since I've had no joy in getting this solved to date, can anyone speculate as to what the error is so that I can point out the problem to a web master that hasn't been able to fix this for me?

Thanks,

CJ

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Where is the problem? (6.0.2800.1106)

Posting the site will bring more help faster. Thanks.

SMBP

New Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, I suppose. I'm not wanting to hurt the feelings of the fellow that will likely be the one to fix the issue.
    But anyway . . . the site is www.webscription.net.

Thanks

I can get to the login page, but I gather the problem occurs after that point.

Ask your friend to tell you whether there is a different host name (e.g., something other than www.webscriptions.net, such as subscribers.webscriptions.net, etc.) or whether it changes to HTTPS (secured) protocol after logging in.

Which version of Windows do you run? In all versions, you can set up a hosts file (just hosts, no extension) that maps host names to a numeric address. It's possible, but not real likely, that the server you are trying to login to has an entry in your hosts file that points to the wrong place. It's just as likely that your ISP has an expired address in its DNS cache; that's something that would clear up over time.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the pointers. I've felt all along that there is a DNS problem here, but I keep being asked to fix it on my end first. Since I don't have a clear idea of how the login process works on the other side, I've not been able to get any traction. Probably still won't get anywhere, but at least its clearer to me that the problem isn't mine.

Thanks all.

CJ

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I am not sure it is a DNS issue, per se. The Login is not secure. The Form coding on the login page (http://www.webscription.net/FormsLog...en/default.asp) and is this:

<form method="post" action="/_mem_bin/verifpwd.asp" name="xyz">
    <font size="3">If you've already registered:</font>

Subscriber ID:
    <input type="text" id="Username" name="Username" size="30" tabindex="1">

Password:
    <input type="password" name="Password" size="30" tabindex="2"> <input type="hidden" name="URL" value="/baen/default.asp">

<input type="submit" value="Login" tabindex="3">
    </form>

The action element identifies that the data is being sent to the exact same server that the login page is from -- www.webscription.net. And, since it does NOT specify "https", the login is done 'insecurely' using http and port 80. So far, I don't see where a DNS issue could arise.

But, I did not register at the site. Once a user is registered AND logged in, what is the web address that appears in the Address bar? Is it different than "www.webscription.net"?? If so, then it could be a DNS issue. Otherwise, I doubt it.

More likely the answer lies on the login page:

"Registration is Free. Come in and look around.
    Be sure Cookies are enabled."

Are your cookies disabled or are you using some "cookie management" program? Set your Cookies in IE6 to Accept All and see what happens.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Reply to self:

OK, I registered and logged in (the site allows you to enter a bogus email address to register). Once you log in, you are taken to this page:

http://www.webscription.net/baen/default.asp

So, a DNS issue is becoming exceedlingly unlikely. I looked into the cookie issue in more detail as well -- since I initially thought that might be the problem. Well, on the surface, even if I BLOCK the cookies from that site, I can STILL login! (Or at least I get to the page indicated above). So, I am not sure if Cookie Management is the problem either...

Regardless, you may want to stick the site into your Trusted sites zone and see what happens!

Lastly, let me flip the question back to you -- Where is the problem?

Are you able to get past the login page and get to the page imaged below?? If so, does the problem start AFTER that page?? The reason I ask is that once you get to this page, some but not all of the links change to a different server: http://www.baen.com/
    Attached Images Attached Images

New Lounger
    Thanks

I have a solution. Interestingly, changing ISP's solved the problem.

I recently bought a new harddrive, installed XP and all my programs on that new harddrive and got re-connected to the internet. Note that this included getting rid of Norton Internet Security and using another program.I still had the login problem. But, for some unrelated problems, I decided to get rid of the ISP.

After connecting to the new ISP, I was again able to connect to the Webscriptions site.

Considering that the tech at my old ISP could login using my account info and I couldn't, I've always thought this was something with my computer (perhaps it was). But a simple ISP change took care of it.

CJ