Thanks

ActiveX Control - Help

Starting last week, after I installed and deleted some .dot templates in Word's startup folder, I started getting an error when I tried to access help. I get this error "This page provides potentially unsafe information to an ActiveX control. Your current security settings prohibit running controls in this manner. As a result, this page may not display properly." Is there somewhere I can change the security settings for this or delete the offending ActiveX control?

Thx.

-Rich.

Thanks

Re: ActiveX Control - Help

Did you by any change change your browser security settings? The dialog (Tools, Internet Options...) does not list My Computer as a zone you can customize. However, it is in the Registry, as you can see from the attached. Documentation on the various values under these zones can be found in <A target="_blank" HREF=http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q182/5/69.ASP>Q182569</A>, but perhaps it is simply that your "CurrentLevel" is set to something more appropriate for the Internet. (The dword 000000000 values in my registry apparently mean "customized")

Theory B is that you have a virus/trojan that is trying to leak information out to the Internet. Scans and caution certainly are in order.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks

Yeow! I'm a little lost. I read the document you referenced, and looked in the Registry, but I'm not sure what to do. All values are 0 except for 1201, which is 0x1, 1C00 which is 0x20000, and 1E05 which is 0x30000. CurrentLevel:REG_DWORD is 0. Flags:Reg_Dword is 0x21. Does anything look amiss to you??

Thx.

-Rich.

Thanks

Since our settings are identical, I suspect foul play. If your virus scanner doesn't detect anything, and even if it does, perhaps run the "repair" function in the Office installer, and see if it patches up the Help DLLs.

Thanks

Norton's didn't detect anything, and I ran SR-1 Office 2000 Repair, and that didn't help either. I'm at a loss.

Thx.

-Rich.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Rich:
    You said this started when you deleted & installed templates in the startup folder. Have you tried removing all the templates from the startup folder & seeing if one of them is the cause? You could also rename normal.dot to normal.old in case one of these templates changed the normal template.

Thanks

Thanks for the ideas, but moving template and renaming normal.dot didn't work. I removed a screen saver program I installed last week as well, and that didn't work. The templates I installed were thinks like INDXR by one of the people here, and PracticalMacros, most of which I saw referenced here.

Thx.

-Rich.

BAM

Hi Rich,

It may not have anything to do with the changes you made. I've run into this in the past and it was due to a corrupt comcat.dll file.

Take a look at this article from on the MS KB:
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q235/6/53.ASP>http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/ar...s/Q235/6/53.ASP</A>

Note that the symptoms are not identical but the Resolution is applicable if comcat.dll is indeed corrupt.

As an additional note to the article: find and rename all versions of comcat.dll since another program may have installed another version.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Cheers!

Thanks

Eureka!! That's it. THANKS!

-Rich.