Star Lounger
    Thanks

attachments (Outlook Express)

I have a person I work with who cannot open or even see pdf attachments. It gives an error message like:
    OE removed access...". This is puzzling because pdf files should be save and I cannot find anywhere in Outlook Express where this can be changed. I have set security to lower without solving the problem. Does anybody know anything about this?
    Thanks for any help!!

Thanks

Re: attachments (Outlook Express)

This article at Microsoft.com goes through all of OE's new (and recycled) security features, including attachment blocking:

OLEXP: Using Virus Protection Features in Outlook Express 6 (MSKB 291387)

I'm not sure whether Microsoft has subsequently enabled selective attachment blocking, or whether it's more of an "all or nothing" proposition.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you! I will go through that article and see what I can find out.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I am having the same problems on my wife's computer. OE will not open .pdf and .eml attached file as well as any other files. This article discusses the IE 6 Unsafe File List which includes executable files and files that may have code or script associated. Clearly this is not the case with pdf and eml files. How do you modify the settings to allow safe files to be opened and not have OE block everything.

Thanks

I'm not sure that you can be selective; all I know is what is in the above article.

And you should not assume that .EML files are safe; they are embedded OE messages, so they can contain scripts and any other nasty thing that can be embedded in HTML.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Understood, but one would think that one could select files out certain files from the Unsafe File list. I would start with PDF files. If you can not pick and chose, the solution sounds like a sledge hammer approach to the problem.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Try this: Click Forward when you get a message with a blocked attachment. You can now save the attachment. When the save dialo opens, click the box to always open this file type. The next time you receive this file type, it should be unblocked. It doesn't work for all file types, but works for many of the safer types.

I also recommend not changing the secturity setting in tools, options, but to use Forward instead - it takes a second for you to open the attachments you really do need and stops you from making a 'what was i thinking' mistake accidently.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

OK, Forward does permit me to Save the message (and identifies the file type), but I do not see any box in the Save As dialog box to "Always Open This File Type".