Star Lounger
    Thanks

Pivot Charts work on some computers but not others (2002/3)

I'm not sure if this is a Pivot Table problem per se or if it is related to different versions/Op systems. A complaints database located on a network.
    Win200Pro and Access 2003. Set up a query and use in a Pivot table, months across the bottom, Part Type as the vertical xais and Sum of complaints as the values. There are about 20 Part Types and I can select one or several at will. Shut down Access and restart, shut down the computer and restart, all Part Types can be selected/deselected at will.
    Start the program on a WinXPPro computer with Access 2002 and the Part Types will not be changed. Whatever the selection was when the Pivot chart is opened is what we get.
    Close this down and reopen on the WIN2000Pro computer. Same ... problem.
    Create a new Pivot Chart from the same query works fine. Open on the WINXPPro computer, locked again??
    Can someone give me some clues as to what to look for ??
    Many thanks

John

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Pivot Charts work on some computers but not others (2002/3)

I'm not sure I understand - but is it the case that the Win2000 Access2003 combination seems to work OK, but WinXP Access XP doesn't? And once it doesn't work on XP/XP then it doesn't work on 2000/2003 as well. A few things to look at - what format is the database - 2000 or 2002? What happens if you create a new Pivot chart on the XP PC? Also what service packs have been applied to Access 2002?
    Wendell

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Wendell
    Still working thru the possibilities on this one but I'll report on what I have gleaned so far.
    The format is 2000.
    The database works on WIN2000Pro with Access 2002 and Access 2003.
    Pivot tables and Pivot charts do not seem to work on any of the WINXP computers. (Access 2002 and Access 2002 SP1). However, normal dataentry and reports work fine.
    Once the problem occurs on the WinXP machine, opening the database on a Win2000 machine causes the same problem.
    My feeling is that it is some sort of administration rights problem but the previous sentence would seem to reject that theory. I can't create a Pivot Table or Pivot chart on the WinXP machines.
    I ran out of time to check what else I could create on the XP machines. All the initial development has been done on Win2000Pro, Access 2003.
    Thanks
    John

Super Moderator
    Thanks

A couple of things to consider - pivot tables and charts were introduced in Access 2002. I haven't checked the MS Knowledge Base, but the latest service pack for Office XP is SP2 - that could be a possibility. Also, is your database split into a front-end and a back-end and deployed to each workstation? If not, you may have a references issue where Access 2003 uses the version 11 library and 2002 uses the versoin 10 library, and things are getting confused. In general the scenario you desicribe is a potential problem because you are doing development on the latest platform, and that means you may inadvertently introduce things that won't work on the older version. You might try importing all the objects into a new database on a 2002 system and see if that makes things work.
    Wendell

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Wendell
    Some more work today has me even more confused. I have narrowed down to 2 WINXP computers with the same Build 2600 and the same Access 2002 (10.2627.2625). The VBA references are also exactly the same.
    I created a 2002 format on each computer, both with queries, forms etc imported from the same source database.
    One computer allowed me to create and manipulate a Pivot Chart
    The second computer allowed the Wizard to create the Pivot Chart, but gave the black circle with Horizontal line thru it when I tried to drag fields onto the drop areas.
    Opening the first program on the second computer seized the selection process on the chart. I could not create a new chart (Black circle...)
    After this, opening the first program again on the first computer and the selection process was seized. However, I could create a new Pivot chart again.
    Opening the second program on the first computer and I could create the Pivot chart.
    Both data and program mdb's are on a network drive.

Any clues to alleviate the confusion???

John

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

IF the databases are on network drives, then you need to look into network permissions. Is Access security a part of these databases?
    Charlotte

Star Lounger
    Thanks

There is NO Access security invoked whatsoever.

Is there anything specific for Access permissions on a network drive?

John

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Basically every user needs to have read/write/delete/create on the folder and any files within it. So check that - Charlotte may have hit on the problem. Otherwise, I would suggest you do a full repair of your office installation on the problem PC and see if that fixes it.
    Wendell

Star Lounger
    Thanks

After a long break to try all sorts of things.......
    We have just resolved a different "can't access MSAccess" problem by recreating the logon profile for a specific computer. Intend to try this on the computers which can't create Pivot charts next.

However, going down another path, even after reading a page in "Special edition using Access 2002" on Pivot tables/charts I am still not quite sure what Object References should be invoked for Pivot Charts in Access 2002. Just based in a form, no Data Access Pages or any other format!
    Thanks

John

Super Moderator
    Thanks

You shouldn't need any Object References other than the standard ones, and if any of those are missing then you probably have an installation problem.
    Wendell