Star Lounger
    Thanks

Convert Works db to Word address list? (Word 2002)

We have an MS Works address database, in a .wdb file, but no longer have Works. Anyone know if/how I can convert it to a Word mail merge address list? I can access the Works file in Word using the Mail Merge Wizard, but I want to be able to edit and add to the list, and I can't when I open it this way. Thanks.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Convert Works db to Word address list? (Word 2

I haven't used Works, but can you just open the file in Word? If so, you can save it as a Word document. If, for some reason, it won't save as a Word document, you could copy everything & paste the information into Word. If it's a table, Word can use it as a datasource.
    Hope this helps,

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I can't open it in Word - all I get is a couple paragraphs of symbol gibberish. But I followed up on your idea of using a Word table as a datasource. I could merge the Works db info into a Word table, save that document, and then use it as a datasource, since I can then edit and add records. Thanks for the quick and helpful response.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Strangely enough, none of the MS Office applications is able to open a Works database. If you can find somebody with Works, ask them to convert the database to DBase .dbf format, or to .csv format. You can then open the converted file in Excel. Otherwise, Conversions Plus from DataViz may do the job; it supports conversion of Works 3 and Works 4 databases.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Hans. I don't know anyone using Works, but I've now merged the Works data into a Word table, so I think my problem is solved.