5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Economic office design software

I have a user with a very limited requirement for an office design package, actually it is for two change rooms with lockers. All this user needs is two floor plans with lockers in position, text tags for each locker for the owner's name and colour or other coding. The coding needs to reflect two independent variations - the type of locking device and whether the locker is one full height or two half height.

Freeware would be great but low cost is acceptable, we are currently looking at MS Publisher for $210AUD. BTW I use MS Visio Pro for network diagrams, etc.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

TIA
    Granville

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: Economic office design software

IKEA at one time had some free planning software at their site. Don't know if it is still available or will help.

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Granville:

If your user has Office, what need for special software?

All his requirements, as stated, can be satisfied using PowerPoint - or even the drawing tools in Word/Excel. I have several user who use PPoint for Ground Plans.

Tony.
    Regards,

Tony
    [s] [/s]
    www.SylviArtist.com

Thanks

How about SmartDraw http://www.smartdraw.com/index2.htm for $69 USD (the basic version). It's a Visio-look alike. I know of another too called Schematic http://www.hypergraphics.co.uk/Schematic.shtml and it has an evaluation copy (purchase for $80 USD).

But I agree with poster BilasTasol in that you can easily use the drawing tools already in Office to create basic boxes, circles, lines, etc. (just like the basic Visio template). Pick your favorite Office tools and use its drawing tool bar. I'd pefer Excel since since its 'page' is very wide and has a built-in grid. When you're done you can turn off the grid (row/col headers) and print it.

Deb

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks all,

I wasn't see the wood for the trees. I'll start out with Excel for two reasons the grid and I have a power user in the adjoining office to user in question.

Thanks heaps!
    Granville

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Word (2k) has a customisable grid (Drawing Toolbar / Grid...) that can be used for aligning drawings. Lines etc normally snap to grid corners, use the Alt key to disable this.