3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

transfer text problem (Access 2000)

I use the line below to transfer a query (as a .dat file)to a network drive. I converted the database from 97 to 2000 and this stopped working. I got an error message that said the Cannot update. Database or object was read-only. When I run this in 97 it works fine but in 2000 it fails. I checked the file at it's not a read-only file. Any thoughts? Thanks..

DoCmd.TransferText acExportFixed, "RPT_STC Address Rpt Export Specification", "RPT: STC Address Rpt Query", "H:eibint.dat",

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: transfer text problem (Access 2000)

The only extensions that are allowed are txt, csv, tab, asc, htm and html. All others cause the error message you got. The easiest workaround is to name the export file int.txt instead of int.dat. You can always rename it to int.dat manually or in code. If that is not acceptable, modify the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwareMicrosoftJet4.0EnginesTe xtDisabledExtensions registry value. The default is !txt,csv,tab,asc,tmp,htm,html meaning that the listed extensions are NOT disabled. You can add ,dat to the list. Be careful when modifying the registry.

Source: MSKB article ACC2000: "Can't Update. Database or Object Is Read-only" Error Message When You Import or Export Files.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: transfer text problem (Access 2000)

Thanks Hans!! The regedit was the trick. Thanks again..