Thread: PNG (P2002)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

PNG (P2002)

Hopefully another quickee

I have followed the pack and go wizard with one of my presentations, (you don't seem to get a chance to name it) and II have sent it to my documents folder where it has placed 2 items PNGSetup and Preso.ppz.

To test it out I have emailed the Preso.ppz to one of my machines without PP but I get the 'what do you want to open this with' window. Why would this be, isn't a .ppz saved with the viewer inside it or should I have also sent myself the viewer (PNGSetup) on the email as well(the .ppz got bloated to 6mb by adding the viewer and the fonts) . If that is the case had a not might as well have sent out a .ppt with the viewer which comes to about 1mb.

Cheers

Steve

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: PNG (P2002)

PNGSETUP.EXE is not the viewer, it is the "unpack" application. You shouldn't try to open the .PPZ file; start PNGSETUP.EXE instead; it expects PRES0.PPZ to be present in the same folder. The viewer is much larger than PNGSETUP.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans

Sorry, I always seem to be a bother to you

My presentation is only 932 kb, when I select pack and go and follw the instructions I select include fonts and include viewer, when it has finished it places into My Documents folder 2 icons one that says PNGSETUP (it shows a picture of a computer with a box of discs) and is only 56kb (in the properties is says Type of File: application Description: Pack and Go Setup. And a Preso.ppz icon which in the properties says Type of File: PPZ, Opens with: Unknown Application, size 6.07 MB.

I emailed both files to a non PP machine but I can't get it to play.

What do you think I am doing wrong?

Steve

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The size of the PRES0.PPZ file depends on
    - the size of the presentation
    - the number and size of the fonts in the presentation (if you include them; a single font can vary in size from 10 KB or so to many megabyte; for example Arial Unicode MS is a whopping 22 megabytes!)
    - the viewer (if you include it; it probably contributes 2 megabytes or so)

If you put PNGSETUP and PRES0.PPZ in the same folder, and start PNGSETUP, you should see a dialog that asks where you want to unpack the presentation.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans

I must really have my thick head on

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If you put PNGSETUP and PRES0.PPZ in the same folder, and start PNGSETUP, you should see a dialog that asks where you want to unpack the presentation.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have made a folder simply called PNG on my desktop and placed both of the items into it, I have tried to email the folder completely but my system will not allow that. I have emailed the contents of the folder (both items) to a machine without Powerpoint.

When I receive the files on the other machine and click PNGSETUP it firstly tells me that it is a virus (good old MS) but then when I do actually open it and load it I cannot open the Preso file.

I had a picture in my head that if you emailed or saved a packand go it would be one program that the recipient just clicked.

Any help greatly appreciated

Steve

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Pack and Go has never produced just one program; it has always created an unpack application PNGSETUP.EXE and a compressed file PRES0.PPZ that contains the presentation and whatever other files are needed.

Do you really get a warning that PNGSETUP contains a virus, or just that opening this file might cause harm?

One other thing you might try, is:
    - Download the installation file for the PowerPoint Viewer. The version for PowerPoint 97 through 2003 is here (1911 KB, requires Windows 98 SE or newer) and the older version for PowerPoint 95 through 2002 is here (2826KB, requires Windows 95 or Windows NT 3.51 or newer.) If you can do this directly on the target PC, fine; otherwise, download it on your own PC, and e-mail it or put it on a CD.
    - Zip the PowerPoint presentation and e-mail it or put it on a CD.
    - Use the installation file to install the viewer on the target PC.
    - Put the presentation on the target PC.
    - Start the viewer and open the presentation.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Did you save both files to your harddrive before clicking PNGSetup.EXE?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Echo

Yes, initially they both saved to 'my documents' and then when I tried again I made a desktop folder PNG and made sure they were both in their. I guess Hans's method willbe the easiest, that is to pack the actual viewer with the presentation.

Thank you

Steve