millby2000

Last Update Date

I am trying to understand how to create a field on a form that will display the current date whenever any of the other fields on the form are changed. Unfortunately, I have no VBA background and I believe using VBA is the only way to accomplish this. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Also, if a field in the Table were modified, would the Update date field in the related form update to show the date of modification?

Thanks again for your help.

Steve Metcalf

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Last Update Date

Check out the "Dirty Property" in Access help.

Good luck

Richard Aheron
    raheron@hotmail.com
    Richard

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If you want to datestamp a record in a form to track its last updated date, use the beforeupdate event of the form to set the control's value to the Date() function. Then if the update is cancelled, the datestamp will be rolled back as well. You can do it with a bit of code like this, where txtLastUpdated is the name of the control bound to your [Last Update] field:

<pre> If IsNull([txtLastUpdated]) Or _
    [txtLastUpdated] < Date Then
    [txtLastUpdated] = Date
    End If '[txtLastUpdated] < Date</pre>

Fields in tables should only be modified through a form if you want to track a last updated value (actually they should only be updated in a form anyhow if you value data integrity). The form only knows about events that happen when it is open. It doesn't have any way to handle things that occur in the table itself.
    Charlotte

millby2000

Richard,

Thanks for your response, I'll check out the "Dirty Property."

Steve

millby2000

Charlotte,

Thank you. I believe this is exactly what I am looking for. Now since I am such a Neophite at this, let me read your directions 10 times to make sure I understand.

Thanks again.

Steve

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

This was very helpful for a similar problem of mine. My Main form has a subform. The Updated field is on the main form and works fine with changes to the main form. How do I get the Updated field to change when I have modified data on the subform?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

In my own databases, I have a LastUpdated field in each table, so the "main" table and the "sub" table would have their own LastUpdated fields. If you only keep track of updates in the "main" table, you have no way of knowing whether it was a change in the "main" table or in the "sub" table (and in which record of the "sub" table).

But if you prefer to use only the field in the "main" table, you can put code in the After Update event of the subform:

Private Sub Form_AfterUpdate()
    Me.Parent!Updated = Date
    End Sub

When used in code behond the subform, Me refers to the subform itself, and Me.Parent refers to the main form.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Hans. I have one question. You used the AfterUpdate event while Charlotte used the BeforeUpdate event in her post (30,826) about the main form. please explain.
    Thanks,
    Howard

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Charlotte used the Before Update event of the form to change the value of a control on the form itself. You can't use the After Update event of the form for that because that occurs when the record has already been updated - changing a value would cause the record to be modified again,
    You want to modify a value in the main form; this can safely be done after the record in the subform has been updated.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans, thanks for the lucid explanation.
    Howard