Gold Lounger
    Thanks

.jpeg won't upload under 5KB

If you attempt to upload a .jpeg for a userpic and it's under 5KB at (4.97 or 4.99) why wouldn't it upload? Does the image, in fact, have to be under that amount and does anything else impact uploading? Do pixel dimensions impact this?

SMBP

Thanks

Re: .jpeg won't upload under 5KB

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by jscher2000 on 07-Nov-03 15:41. I'm referring to the tab in the Properties dialog in Windows Explorer, not the one you see if you right-click an image in IE.)</P>Nothing to do with pixels. Not all file systems measure kilobytes in the same manner. The Properties>General tab for my current userpic says "4.67 KB (4,792 bytes)." Make sure you get the second number under 5,000 bytes.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

That's interesting Jefferson--I need to do some more looking into that and also comparison with different editors--I wonder if they vary. When I rt. click property I also see a 4.97 kb size and size on disk 8.00kb which I know doesn't apply to the lounge's upload image or probably anywhere else but I wonder what the difference there is.

Thanks,

SMBP

Thanks

"Size on disk" refers to clusters occupied in your Windows file system; typically round multiples of 8 or 16. Definitely not relevant to the Lounge's size restrictions.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I didin't think it had anything to do with the Lounge or actually image size in general and I wonder if different image resizers may estimate a little bit differently, but what is the reason for this "size on disk" figure--what useful purpose does it serve?

SMBP

Thanks

> what is the reason for this "size on disk" figure--what useful purpose does it serve?

The sum of the differences between the two numbers is the infamous "slack" or wasted space in the file system. Once upon a time, when hard drives were more expensive, people bought software to squeeze multiple files into the same cluster to get rid of this slack. I don't know whether it serves any purpose for you to know this nowadays...

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Should have suspected, as you know some people have made much of that mathematical difference someone even going to the length I think to sue a hardware OEM over it--doubt that went anywhere.

SMBP