Thanks

Windows critical update notification

Among my scheduled tasks there is 'Windows critical update notification' which is set to run every five minutes 24 hours a day. The comments say 'This task is created by Windows Critical Update Notification program and should not be modified or removed.' Is this really necessary? Could this task running so often interfere at all with other functions of the PC, like could it be implicated at all in the frequent crashes I get? Would the world end if I modified it to run less often?

Ian

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Windows critical update notification

Every 5 minutes is definitely overkill, especially now that Microsoft is dedicated to releasing patches less frequently than in the past. Once a day or even once every two days is plenty.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Ian:
    For what it's worth, I got rid of mine entirely. I just check when I want to. Even though I have DSL, I don't stay connected all the time & don't want my machine connecting to the web whenever it wants.
    Cheers,

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Ditto. I got rid of mine when the dang thing kept running that often -- and it frequently caused a problem! I think the best way to remove it is from the Add/Remove Program box.

What I have decided to do was to sign up for the MS email notification service -- so I get an email everytime MS releases a Critical Update. This seems far more logical than having my computer check for an update 288 times a day! Hmmm... now how did I sign up for that? I don't remember...

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by Phil Rabichow on 09-Nov-03 10:10. last paragraph)</P>Hi R2:
    The email signup sounds like a good idea. I thought I had signed up for something like that, as I used to get emails about critical updates. I haven't gotten one in a long, long time & I deleted old ones. Next time you get one, maybe you can post the email address. They usually have one in the body to sign up for other email services, as I recall.

I think I found it. Notify Me
    Cheers,

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

FWIW, I found a different link in today's bulletins:

Microsoft Security Notification Service

It likely all funnels into the same place...

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi R2:
    I think "all roads lead to Rome". I got a security update today also, because of the registration at the previous link. It didn't have your link, however. But it led to technet.
    Cheers,

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Ian--

I turned Win Update off all together a good while back and began using the Technet Security Notification Service R2 and Phil have shown, and it saves me considerable time, and I could make a long list of glitches I don't see anymore, that I used to waste time on, but all you have to do is look at the XP, IE, Win 2K and Windows section of the Lounge in a given two months and you'll have them.

You can occasionally check the Win Media and Direct X and Office sites to see if their is anything not covered by the bulletins but that's rare and sometime between now and two years, they are revamping Win Update theoretically to fix the many bugs some of which are outlined by the oxymoronic Winupdate Troubleshooting site.

I didin't call it a really bad name, but I still like the way that adjective sounds and describes my experiences with Windows Update and percentage of time on NG's I spend helping with its glitches. They are revamping it and consolidating the 8 platforms/mechanisms MS now uses to deliver updates:

Windows Update 5 Prepped for XP SP2, New IE

Two associated sites that help in finding updates and now monthly roll-ups are in case you have to put a new OS on a machine(you won't need them for new ones because the notification service does it's job and the trains definitely run on time)--you get them early and I have seen absolutely no downside to that--if bugs show up enough people use that so it's going to show up in newsletters quickly--are:

Security Bulletin List Last to First

Technet Security Hotfix Chronological List

Microsoft Security Bulletin Search

SMBP

Thanks

Thanks, everyone - that's really helpful.

Ian