Thanks

Newsreaders & RSS (OE 6.x)

Can OE be set up to run as an RSS newsfeed prog... such as BlogExpress or RSSFeeder?

Being new to RSS I'm confused... it appears that you need separate progs for each.

True?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Newsreaders & RSS (OE 6.x)

AFAIK, OE will not run as an RSS reader.

An RSS update is normally a brief message with a link that can be rendered in a web browser. A list of readers is available here. There seem to be four main forms of RSS readers that run under Windows:<UL><LI>Something that will integrate into Outlook (NOT Outlook Express) using Outlook's inbuilt web browser - which is a form of IE component. Most fall into this category.<LI>Something that will give you the choice between rendering selected pages in its on built in web browser component (usually a form of IE) - or that will render the link in your default browser. Feedreader is an example. <LI>Something that can only operate outside your browser - such as Bloomba (which is mainly an email client. <LI>Something that integrates fully into your browser - such as NewsMonster (which actually only runs on Firebird or Mozilla).[/list]HTH
    Gre

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Newsgator (http://www.newsgator.com is an outlook plugin that works great. It also pulls in NNTP (news) as RSS but you can't use it to post, only read.

Thanks

unkamunka / MaryJ:

Thanks... too bad...
    ya know, again it seems the question: why, when it seems that Outlook is in fact built on OE, don't the / can't they share aps such as this?

Chuck
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Thanks

Outlook isn't really built on OE, but it uses OE for parts that don't fit the standard "corporate" feature set. If MS integrates RSS, I suspect it will happen on the server side, not at the client, as the mantra of corporate information services is "control." (I mean that in a neutral way, sometimes control can be used for bad purposes, but sometimes it's needed to avoid legal liability.)

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook is NOT BUILT on OE. They are two differnet apps by two different program groups. OL comes from office/exchange, OE from windows.

OE is intended to be a simple mail and news program and lacks an object model. Outlook has a programmable object model, allowing people to create addins like newsgator.

Thanks

MaryJ / Jefferson:

Thanks... oh well... but I had thought, through use and visual, that Outlook "called" OE for both mail and news... hence, shared address books, news clients, and mttp, if I uninstalled OE, that Outlook would not run... and as far as RSS, although I can easily see Jefferson's point(s) re corporate (MS / others), I would have thought that MS would have moved that way, seeing as how the market was "showing interest"....
    ?

Chuck