Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Creating a 'rolled-up' install (All Versions)

I'm curious to see if anyone has attempted to create a fully patched installation CD. At the moment I'm wrestling with WinXP's advanced setup options and trying to either a) slipstream all hotfixes up to the current service pack level or [img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img] provide an automated patch of the OS post-installation. Images are out of the question, because there are too many hardware differences to allow for a smooth rollout using a method like this. The situation calls for a standalone installation CD.

The idea here is that it would be flexible enough to allow future changes. I'm not interested in waiting on Microsoft to release new service packs, since they have [bnever[/b] stuck to a schedule for releasing them to date. This process would allow for the creation of master CD images (ISOs) that could be duplicated for rollout scenarios.

Thanks in advance for any and all input!
    -Mark

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Creating a 'rolled-up' install (All Versions)

Mark--

I need to do some more looking later, but this may be a start. As you know, there are a number of sites on slipstreaming through SP1, but I get from this you want to slip stream further than the current service pack level--or want at least an "open end" for future hotfixes beyond there to keep up with the erratic schedule--and the 'promised' monthly roll-ups. I'm hoping the first link may enable you to get the flexibility you want for future roll-ups, and then I included some SP1 slipstream links, and installing hotfixes on an unattended XP CD:

Slipstream the Update Rollup into XP SP1

Create A Bootable Windows XP Installation CD Slipstreamed with SP1

Nero Burning Rom Procedure XP SP1 CD

Creating a Bootable XP SP1 CD

<A target="_blank" HREF="http://www.windows-help.net/WindowsXP/winxp-sp1-bootcd.html">
    Slipstreaming Windows XP Service Pack 1a and Create Bootable CD</A>

Slipstream Guide Beta Place UK

How to burn an XP Bootable CD with SP1 Slipstreamed

Tech Guide Slipstream Forum

Bart's Bootable CD's

Slipstream Upgrade Does Not Reflect Proper Service Pack JSI Tips

Lounge Thread on Slipstreaming Bootable XP CD--Steven Bink's Link Down Now

SMBP

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Mark,
    I created a pre-SP2 CD that I used to update WinXP SP1 installations. It contains all available hotfixes and recommended updates (as of today) as well as .NET Framework 1.1, DirectX 9.0b, MDAC 2.8 and PowerToys. It runs from BAT file I attached as TXT. Unfortunately, it still requires installer interaction starting from TweakUI installation. Attention: An installer must reject rebooting when prompted, computer will reboot automatically after the last installation (DirectX 9.0b).
    All hotfixes are listed according to MSKB numbers, except a few.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

The lounge thread and some others reported that Paul Thurrott's Slipstreaming Service Pack 1, a Windows 2000 technology showcase works well for XP.

SMBP

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

The latest updates:

October 2003 Cumulative Patch for IE6SP1 (KB828750) was replaced by November 2003 Patch (KB824145)
    MSJet 4.0 SP7 (KB282010) was replaced by MSJet 4.0 SP8 (KB829558)

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Kaplin, thanks. This looks almost identical to what I came up with in my quest, a BAT file that would run after the first login and then reboot. However, I didn't include packages such as DirectX and TweakUI, just critical fixes (or ones that were security related).

I ended up giving up on the MDAC installation because it prompted for intervention no matter what, much as you stated happened with TweakUI.

Seems that a BAT file is really the only way. I did manage to uncover an interesting series of articles on the MSFN website that added such interesting things as installing NAV and other applications via a BAT file, and it even includes some information on how to slipstream the rollup package for WinXP. The slipstreaming is a lot of work and I haven't tested it yet, but the idea seems solid enough.

Again, thanks for the input.
    -Mark

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I just came across the MSFN site after seeing an article on how to make an unattended install cd. You might want to take another look at the site:
    <hr>3rd December 2003 | Added a guide to help transform over from Command Line batches to the more professional RunOnceEx.<hr>
    This recent change might help make the process a little easier.