New Lounger
    Thanks

Messages folder lost (OE2000)

Hi all,
    I unexpectedly lost a second-level folder containing several folders, sub-folders, with all their messages and attachments.
    What's weird is that the various .DBX files corresponding to the lost items always seem to exist in the following folder (I'm under Win 2000 Pro):
    Documents and Settingsmy_login_hereLocal SettingsApplication DataIdentities{non-user-friendly_generated_folder_name}MicrosoftOutlook Express
    The total size of .DBX files in this folder seems reasonable: 216 MB.
    The fact that these .DBX files are always here also helps me to rule out any unvoluntary deletion.
    In fact, a few days ago, I deleted a few .DBX files relating to newsgroups, and only AFTER having FIRST deleted the corresponding folders, following technical support advice, when my ISP reinitialized his news server. After this deletion, I could still normally use the folders that are now temporarily lost.
    As these data are work-related, I would really like to recover them.
    Any ideas or clues?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Messages folder lost (OE2000)

Hi,
    I'm afraid no suggestion at all came up - yet.
    I believe the problem stated by johnb (just below) looks similar.
    Oh dear, I hope there is a solution... (apart from switching to another, more stable mail & news client)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Please explain "unexpectedly lost a second-level folder "?
    How did you lose this folder?
    What were you doing when you lost it?
    And have you browsed ALL of the other folders and sub folders and make sure you did NOT drag it to one of them?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Dave,
    Well, this folder disappeared without any (at least voluntary) action from my part.
    I first thought it had been mistakenly moved somewhere else in the folder structure, so I browsed in order to spot it, but could not find it. I also did not find it in the recycled bin (I use a two-step deletion).
    Later, I found the corresponding .DBX file, but this did not help and I did not try anything with it, as I don't want to act hastily and any help from OE wizards will be most appreciated.

I might try to:
    - temporarily move the .DBX file into another directory
    - create another mail folder with the same name
    - move back the .DBX file into its original directory

I don't know if this would succeed, and also if this process might need to be repeated several times in order to recover the full tree structure one level at a time.

Please let me know what you think!

Cheers,
    Henri

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

OE has a habit of doing that when it encounters corruption. Recover the messages using a tool called DBXTract, links to it are at http://www.tomsterdam.com.
    To prevent problems like this in the future, turn off autocompacting in Tools, Options, Maintenance.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi MaryJ,

Many thanks for the info. I'm coming back to this issue now that I've some more time for it.

I downloaded and installed this OEHelp utility, but I would like to check what to do now:
    1) I did (another, manual) backup of all .DBX files on my setup, just to be on the safe side.
    2) I ran OE Help.
    3) I selected the only Restore item in the menus: Restore files | DBX files.
    4) I created a backup folder with OE Help.
    5) I performed a backup via OE Help into the OE backup folder.
    6) Now, I think I could restore (from the OE backup folder) the .DBX files corresponding to the disappeared folders, but is that supposed to bring these disappeared folders back to life?
    7) Also, I suppose this means overwriting the original .DBX files in OE's folder.

I'm asking this because I did not loose any DBX files, only the pointers that render them usable by OE.

Thanks in advance,

Henri

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I'm not familar with OEHelp, but the one i recommended, DBXtract bursts theDBX files into individual messages that you can drop back into your folders in OE or burn to CD for archival purposes, if the messages are old an no longer needed.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Many thanks,

DBXtract did the trick. Some messages (the ones < 2Kb) lost their sender or title, but the attachments were retrieved all right. That's what I call a great utility!

> To prevent problems like this in the future, turn off
    > autocompacting in Tools, Options, Maintenance.

I sure will. I would not have thought this "feature" was so nasty.
    One last thing. Is OE's "manual" folders compacting feature also risky?

Cheers,
    Henri