New Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook 98 Reinstall (Outlook 98)

I use Outlook 98. I want to change computers. I have copied the setup files previously downloaded onto the new computer, but I can't get it to install. Setup won't let me go past the point where it tries to contact the Microsoft web page (which doesn't exist any more, I suspect). Can anyone help me? (I have been using Windows 2000, but the new computer has XP Home.)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Outlook 98 Reinstall (Outlook 98)

From what I remember, OL98 was only ever available for download from the MS site.

I'm we have moved on to OL XP and I don't have an notes on the OL95/OL98 upgrade to hand.
    Granville

Super Moderator
    Thanks

It was also found in some books and magazines. I have a CD of it. You may check with the local computer groups to see is anyone has a copy.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I just went through it with Microsoft. After waiting an hour on the phone, they told me they have removed the web page that allows you to install Outlook 98 and there is no other way to install it if you got it as a download (even if you saved the set up files to disk). I just went ahead and bought Office 2003, but the whole thing is pretty annoying. (I couldn't just reinstall Outlook 97 because it isn't able to deal with the Outlook 98 .pst file.)

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

There is a way to reuse your local files, but i don't recall how offhand, personally it's not worth the trouble. The differences between OL98 and OL2002 are so great that i would never have wasted a call to Microsoft either - and Ol2003 is even better. The value of the new programs are just too great to continue using a 5-yr old program.

Why didn't the pst work with outlook 97? Large tables or something else?

New Lounger
    Thanks

I tried it some time ago. I don't remember exactly what happened. I think I just got an error message to the effect, "Cannot open file" or something.

I am sure I will prefer Outlook 2003. I just react badly to being forced to upgrade when I wasn't planning on it.