Gold Lounger
    Thanks

IE History Entries--Sometimes! (IE6 SP1)

Running IE6SP1 with Win XP Pro. This is not meant to be a Lounge question, but an IE history question. Once in a while for reasons I don't know--this has been referenced before--you're about to finish a lounge new post, and it vanishes--this may be an individual machine equation problem--and threads have run about hitting Ctrl+A/Ctrl+C+Ctrl+V to save the post if you can.

When this happens, I've gone to history, and 95% of the time either in History or hitting the Back button--you're never going to see the pending post. However, sometimes it will be saved, even months back if you have set History to save that far back.

I just wondered what causes the pending post to save sometimes--around 5% and not save in IE History the other 95%. See a save from October 14, 2003 below.

SMBP
    Attached Images Attached Images

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: IE History Entries--Sometimes! (IE6 SP1)

I am not sure I understand nor do I know the answer. But... if I lose a post before it gets posted, I look for it in the TIF (not the History folder). Frequently I salvage things that would otherwise be lost.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

R2--

Hoping you would look at this. That's a good idea I never thought of. It may solve the problem if you have a sudden loss of the web page very well. What I meant though, is that if you go to where you know you posted or answered a post in History, 95% of the time you're going to see "Reply to R2" with a blank white space. The message you typed is not presevered. But 5% of the time--like the example I screen shot, history will retain the message.

Also do you mind repeating the strung out locations of the history files and folders. I remember one thread we had where you spelled it out and they are in a number of places.

Thanks,

SMBP

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't know the answer, but I noticed your example consists of links & graphics. Have you checked to see whether this is treated differently than text?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

That's an interesting thought --a good one--and I will. I know graphics as a variable doesn't matter because I found some of a thread that had been deleted without a trace to paraphrase the CBS TV show but I haven't tried one without links. To find one of mine without links takes some looking. I hope I made sense--what I was noticing was sometimes when you least expect it--this happens to me with emails sometimes and it happens with a lot of resources and memory in use--you get the hour glass and an email or a pending post disappears--so you desparately hit the back button if you haven't had the foresight to be pasting and saving somewhere --I do this for more important emails with links sometimes--hoping you can retrieve what you typed.

Thanks Phil--I'll check on this and report back.

SMBP

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

No time today.

Briefly, all the true History data is kept in the History folder -- but due to the way Windows is designed, you cannot routinely see the insides of the History folder as it truly exists. It contains various sub-folders, and inside each of them is an "index.dat" file. Each index.dat file holds a list of "visited:" sites -- sites that you have visited that day or days. Every sub-folder in the History folder is named for a date range (e.g., 11/10/03 - 11/11/03), which may makes up a 24-hour period -- or longer, depending on the date range. There is also one main index.dat file that resides in the History.IE5 folder -- and inside of it are ALL the "visited:" sites that are held in each of the smaller index.dat files.

The registry then tells Explorer what the names of the sub-folders are -- so that it can find a given folder and then create the illusion that you see when you open the History folder: those sub-folders named "Today" and "Monday".

I am not sure when the data in the History folder is updated. The TIF will hold much more data than the History folder. When you are talking about a thread that has not yet been posted and 'finished', I would guess the TIF would be a more likely spot to find the page.