3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

ICF XP home and AOL lost properties box (XP home SP1)

My only connection to internet is via AOL (not everyones favourite I understand) dial up. I thought I'd enable XP firewall...start>control panel>network & internet connections>network connections. rt click on AOL icon to bring up menu..click on "properties" to get the connection properties box where I understand "advanced" would give the option to enable the firewall and..nothing. Likewise click on "change settings for this connection in the left network task pane and nothing happens. ( see screen shot) I enabled ICF by using the "set up a home or small office" route (I think) but as I cant access the "properties" I cant figure how to disable ICF now, (in order to use a proper firewall like the recommended Zone Alarm) unless I use a system restore. Some hours searching various forums KBs etc have got me nowhere and a phone call to AOL help gave me the advice "you cant change the properties of AOL" so not much sense there. Would this be something unique to the way AOL configures things? Can anyone point me in the right direction on this please?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: ICF XP home and AOL lost properties box (XP ho

It's been a VERY long time since I used AOL, but I think you may have to take what AOL told you at face value. It would not surprise me if it turns out that they have written their software so that the Properties tab in Windows is inaccessible. If the Restore Point that was set when AOL was installed is still available, you could try a rollback. The Restore should not destroy any of your saved data - such as downloaded emails.
    Gre

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: ICF XP home and AOL lost properties box (XP home SP1)

This isn`t going to be much help to you, but I spent ages trying to access the "Properties" of my connection. Just like you, the Advanced Tab was missing. I am on a Home LAN and we used the "Set up a home/office network".My computer is not the Host and we have a "Bridge". I messed around one day and removed my connection from the Bridge, and lo and behold the Advanced Tab was back with the Firewall etc. When I put my connection back into the Bridge the Tab was gone again. So, which one did it to you... the "Set up home network" or AOL?
    I am not on AOL

Elaine

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: ICF XP home and AOL lost properties box (XP ho

I think you have it. AOL software seems to take over. This just re-enforces my thinking that I ought to change providers when I go for broadband. thanks

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Elaine, looks like AOL is the culprit, but re-assuring to hear I'm not alone in experiencing this.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Had put this on the back burner, but this screen shot may be of interest to those of you that might be asked this question at a future date