2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Tip of the Day method...

Hi,

On our local intranet pages on our LAN, I want to add a daily "Tip of the

Day" which auto-updates everytime the visitor refreshes on the main page.

I want the easiest way to do this. Would be nice to pick up tips automatically if poss.

So my Q's are:

(a) What's the best way to do this?
    ([img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img] Are there archives/databases of Windows & Office tips I can download from somewhere & import / use them somehow?

Thanks.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Tip of the Day method...

Do you want it to refresh daily, or every time the visitor refreshes the main page?

Either way, you're going to need to store the information in some kind of database or XML file. Assuming you want one message per day, you'll need to store a date along with each entry. Then simply select the record where the day is the current date. Otherwise, just use an autonumber to number each record, then have it randomly select one to display.

You'll also need to change the file extension of your home page to match whatever server-side technology you've chosen to use (ASP, ASPX, PL, etc...) OR place the dynamic content in an INCLUDE file (which usually requires a SHTML extension for the parent file.

As for content, I'm sure you can google to find this kind of information quickly.

Hope this helps!

Thanks

There's an acronym for this in the *nix community, it might be MOTD for "message of the day." If you can find that acronym, I'm sure there will be a treasure trove of code out there to implement it.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks chaps.