Star Lounger
    Thanks

Outline numbering .StartAt value (Word 2000)

I have a template that creates multiple chapters. I want each chapter to have outlined heading numbering that is tied to the chapter number which is stored in the Properties "Keywords.

I have a macro that will change the outline numbering, however when I open the doc again, it goes back to the default "1" because it is not tied to the chapter value.

Can I do this?

Thanks

Re: Outline numbering .StartAt value (Word 2000)

Are these chapters in separate files? (Actually, maybe you could post a small sample document for the numbering gurus to look at. I doubt I can help with this one.)

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Ruth:
    I'm not exactly sure what you want. Are you talking about consecutive heading numbering between chapters? Or having the numbering start with the chapter number, like 2-101? Or something else?

If your numbering is all part of a single list template, then the numbering should stick. It depends how you are changing the outline numbering. It should be tied to a style. And under Tools/Templates & Add-ins, make sure Automatically update document styles is UNchecked.

If you are talking about consecutive numbering between files, you might want to look at a thread that started with <post#=296218>post 296218</post#>.
    Cheers,

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Phil and Jefferson,

I have 3 chapters. Each chapter has it's own page numbering 1-1, 2-1, 3-1 etc. Now, my co-worker wants the headings to be numbered, using outline numbering with the first number to be the same as the chapter number. The TOC is a separate file using RD fields to build the TOC.

Changing the style is not a problem, using the correct way (one list and modify the WHOLE list), however, the start number needs to change, but....

I would would rather not have 3 sets of Heading styles so that the first part of the number sticks (chapter number).

Is that clearer?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Ruth:
    If you put your cursor in a Heading 1 style & go to Bullets & Numbering.../Outline numbering, the last box on the bottom right is Chapter numbering. You can modify this (reset it first) so it doesn't show the word "Chapter" & numbers 1-1, 1-2, etc. in Chapter 1; 2-1 ,2-2 , etc. in Chaper 2. Make sure that you link the numbering to the style. Have I understood you correctly?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

You understood, except that I did exactly that, and when I open the documents, they all revert to 1-1 etc. (The are all attached to the same template, is that why?)

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Ruth:
    Make sure that Tools/Templates & Add-ins/Automatically update document styles is UNchecked.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

THANKS PHIL!! That was it. Somewhere embedded in the code it was set to auto update. I added "ActiveDocument.UpdateStylesOnOpen = False" to the Private Sub Document_Open().

Thanks!!!
    -Ruth