2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Underlining numbered lines (XP)

I want a style to underline the number, the tab and text (on the same line it is followed by a similar style without underline). I've tried using a border but that underlines not only the text with the style applied but also the text in the following style - and the blank bit to the end of the line. Any way of getting the box just around my text (in a style)? Or is there another way to do it?

Thanks

Re: Underlining numbered lines (XP)

There is regular old underlining in the Font dialog for the style. However, if you want a box like the one created by Borders, I don't know of a way to limit it to the text itself, rather than the paragraph, unless you are applying it as direct formatting.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Judith:
    I don't have XP, so there may be a way to do this in XP that I'm unaware of. However, since you're willing to use a border, it is possible to use a table, & just apply a border to the bottom of each row. If you use a two column table, this might do what you want.

Using styles:
    1. To have the number underlined, you apply numbering, go into customize, click the Font button, & choose underline style & OK.
    2. To have the text numbered, you can create a character style that's underlined. However, the tab that is inserted with numbering is not numbered. I couldn't find a way to do that. If you use a character style, you could create the numbering without a tab, & then manually place a tab before the text & they will both be numbered.
    3. If you create a paragraph style that is underlined, then the next sentence will be underlined also. However, you can select the paragraph mark (turn on show/hide so you can see the backward "P"s, & make it hidden. Then make the next sentence in a different paragraph style. When you are in Print Layout view, with show/hide turned off (or if you use Print preview), you will see two sentences in different styles on the same line.

It's my understanding that there is a style separator function in Word 2002, that allows you to have two paragraph styles on the same line. You might look at the online help for that.
    Cheers,

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks guys - problem is I'm trying to produce black box templates for people with little knowledge of Word. They'll just have to live with the gap.