Star Lounger
    Thanks

Max Hard Drive Size

OK, I am going to buy a bigger hard disk (As a second / slave disk) to keep photo and music files on mostly. I am thinking of getting a 120 Gbyte drive but wanted to make sure that Windows 2000 Pro with service pack 3 installed will support a drive that size without partitioning. I will probably partition the drive at some point, but just want to know what the largest drive supported by Win2K is.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Max Hard Drive Size

A quick search didn't produce an exact answer but I did find this on the MS Newsgroup for Win2K:
    "FAT32 volumes have a practical limit of 127.5GB. If you want
    the entire drive to be a single volume make sure you're formatting
    it as NTFS."

HTH
    Granville

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

According to Limitations of FAT32 File System, a volume under Fat32 can be at most 32 GB. Maximum partition size in NTFS is huge - 18 billion gigabytes.

Banned Member
    Thanks

Size Limitations in NTFS and FAT File Systems So if your using a 120GB Drive and you want to use Fat32, Partion it in 4 seperate 30GB Partitions.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

<hr>In theory, FAT32 volumes can be about 8 terabytes; however, the maximum FAT32 volume size that Windows XP Professional can format is 32 GB. Therefore, you must use NTFS to format volumes larger than 32 GB. However, Windows XP Professional can read and write to larger FAT32 volumes formatted by other operating systems. <hr>
    The above from Cowboy's link. Is this something to be said, once again, for maintaining our Win98SE boot disks? I still to this day use my Win98SE boot disk, rather than XP, to prepare new hard drives. I must admit that the largest hard drives I have are 40 gig, but I've FDISK'd and FORMAT'ed them with my Win98SE boot disk and XP has no problem "using" these drives (at the 40 gig size).

Banned Member
    Thanks

Doc is correct. I do the same thing. I have a 40GB and WinXP has no problem with it.