Recently Used Files List

My wife is using Word 2000 Academic Edition with no service releases applied (I have deliberately not applied service releases.) She is writing her doctoral dissertation and very often works with huge documents containing embedded graphics such as: photographs, illustrations, and Visio documents. My wife also has a very large number of installed Word VBA macros, all of which she wrote herself.

Her problem is that when she clicks on the File menu choice in Word, it is stuck on showing only one or two files from the recently used files list. These are not the most recently edited files.

I checked Tools/Options General tab and her recently used files list box is checked and the number of files was set to 6. I spun that up to 9 and applied the change.

My wife is very active with Word, editing extremely complicated documents and doing so for 30-50 hours a week to the best of my knowledge. She is a more advanced Word user than I am.

What could be causing the recently used files list in be stuck on one or 2 files edited long ago?

Thanks very much,

Robert L. Cochran Jr.

Uranium Lounger
    Los Angeles Area, California, USA

Re: Recently Used Files List

Hi Bob:

First of all, you should apply SR-1a. It fixed a lot of bugs & I'm unaware of any downside. The SR2 is another story.

>What could be causing the recently used files list in be stuck on one or 2 files edited long ago?<

The most likely cause is a corrupt Data key. Do this:
    1. Open Word.
    2. Click the greyed out "rec" on the status bar to start the macro recorder. A dialog box comes up. Change the name of the macro MyOptions & click OK.
    3. Now go to Tools/Options & open the dialog box. Click on every single tab. Make one change on some tab (I tried it with no changes & it still worked). Click OK.
    4. Go to Tools/AutoCorrect... & click on every tab. Then click OK.
    5. Stop the macro recorder. You now have a macro called MyOptions that will restore your options when you finish everything.
    6. Close Word.
    7. Go to Start/Run & type regedit & press enter.
    8. Navigate to
    HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftOffice9.0WordDat a
    & select the key. Delete or rename it. It will be recreated when Word is started.

This should fix the problem.

9. After you start Word, press Alt+F8. Select MyOptions & click Run. This will restore your previous options. You will have lost some toolbar settings.

For additional information, see

<A target="_blank" HREF=></A>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=></A>

Hope this helps.

Re: Recently Used Files List

Hi Phil,

I want to thank you for your help. My wife is checking out the results of my work now.

It is very interesting, when I ran the MyOptions macro as instructed, it got an error (a boundary error?) on the following line:

.Compatibility(wdUseWord97LineBreakingRules) = True

Which in turn is part of

Application.UserAddres = ...
    With ActiveDocument

(looks like 30 lines or so of .Compatibility settings)

I deleted the .Compatibility line that was flagged and reran the macro.

The toolbar did change, I don't know exactly how -- looks like an extra line popped up.

So far, my wife is editing one of her huge chapter documents and is not complaining to me.

Bob Cochran
    Beltsville, Maryland, USA