3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Massive File Activity

I'm running Windows 2000 Pro and use Go Back 3.2 by Roxio for system restoration should there be a problem. If you aren't familiar with Go Back it saves old versions of files and system bootup settings so you can restore the system or bring up old versions of files. A very handy utility although it makes the hard drive work a lot more.

My issue is that my hard drive is running constantly. I thought this was due to Go Back doing file saves but if I open Go Back I get a message that the file "logging has been suspended due to massive file activity". Also, I've disabled Go Back and the hard drive continues to run constantly.

Anyone have any ideas what would make Windows 2000 Pro want to work files on the hard drive in this manner. Constant hard drive activity can go on for seemingly hours even when I'm doing nothing on the computer.

Also, in Task Manager the "System Idle Process" CPU activity typically is in the 80% to 99% range when this is going on. And, in programs like Autocad and Excel etc. my mouse movement becomes jumpy on the screen.....as though the cpu has to wait for something else to finish before moving the pointer.

I've listed a few symptoms here that I think are related. Can anyone out there give me a hint as to what is taking place here?

Thanks,
    BH Davis

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Massive File Activity

Further information I should have included:

System is a P4 2.2 with an IBM 30 gig hdd and 1gig memory.
    Norton System works with antivirus automatic updates.

Thanks again,
    BH Davis

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Multiple threads in the lounge on this. I'd first check to see if you have any massive files hogging your hard drive that might be taking up space although they usually don't cause the CPU slurpping. System Restore is the #1 culprit with accumulated restore points. It defaults to 90 days, and people often mistakenly have it monitoring a data drive--it doesn't restore data. I'd eliminate Findfast and Search Indexing for openers--their is info in one of the threads on this.

I don't like RGB because it reconfigures your Master Boot Record and the MBR is an essential component of the all important Boot Strap Mechanism for Windows 2K and others, but I understand you do.

Take a look at your Task Manager--click the task bar and look at the Processes tab. What do you see their taking up the most CPU? If you click processes you can get it to list in order of the most down to the least--anything out of the ordinary?

Troubleshooting Task Manager

323527: HOW TO: Use Windows Task Manager in Windows 2000

There are all kinds of enhanced free Win 2K Task Manger utilities if you google but I think you can check out the links and do some of these simple tasks to find the culprit(s).

I'd check running Spybot and Adaware at least for malware that can be causing this activity, and I'd also use Black Viper's Service Configurations which apply to Win 2k as well as XP to eliminate services running in the foreground or background that you just don't need and turn them off. Scroll down to read his extensive colorful reference list. Just leave "winlogon" alone--you need that to boot. You can check msconfig as well, although it actually has 12 potential sources for it's list and the Viper recommends using "services.msc" in the run box to get a list of items you might turn off.

Starpost: Anti-Adaware, Spyware, Hijack

You also might want to deploy a free Start Up Manager List Here and and additional list here.

I got to the CPU list in the C's by hitting "Subject" then doing a lot of clicking on the last number before the >> and then back clicking until I found CPU--I call that the poor, humble man's search on the Lounge:

Lounge threads that might help with a number of suggestions and links: (and you can back click for others)

100% CPU Usage

100% CPU Usage Different Thread Similar Problems

High CPU Usage Spyware

CPU at 100%

Virtual Memory Low

CPU Usage at 100% After 4-6 Hours

hth,

SMBP

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

SMBP,

THANK YOU for the extensive reply.....you've given me a lot to look at.

The primary thing I've already done is to check TASK MANAGER. The ONLY thing using any siginifcant (more than a couple of percent) cpu resources is the SYSTEM IDLE process, which, as I mentioned, is up in the 80 to 100 percent range (usually 95% or higher).

I appreciate your including the SEARCH results. I can't seem to get the SEARCH link to show on the TOOLBAR at the top of the Woody's webpage. All I have up there is: MAIN INDEX, CONTROLS, POSTBOX, WHO'S ONLINE, MOD LIST, FAQ, HELP and LOGOUT. From the help database I saw that the SEARCH function is supposed to be located between MAIN INDEX and CONTROLS, but it isn't there on MY screen..........

Thanks again,
    BH Davis

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Unfortunately, the search facility in Woody's Lounge has been disabled for about 6 months now. See <!post=Temporary suspension of Search facility,250092>Temporary suspension of Search facility<!/post>.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Check to make sure that a hacker has not hijacked your system to use for a file server.
    Legare Coleman

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Legare,

I'm not sure how I would do that if small files were involved. I doubt a large amount of files would be on my system since I have a pretty good handle on what's on my hard drive........not to say something couldn't easily be burried somewhere.

So, if I see the hard drive running like crazy I'll pull my broadband connection and see if it stops I guess. There is no network connection other than the broadband.

Oh, I followed the advice above and turned off "Allow Indexing Service to index this disk for fast file searching". We'll see if that has an effect.

Thanks,
    BH Davis

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Are you using any of the anti-spyware etc software recommended in <!profile=KenK>KenK<!/profile>'s <!post=Star Post 296439,296439>Star Post 296439<!/post>?
    Gre

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts

Check your paging file settings. Also, check the indexing service. Have you run a defragement recently?

Joe
    Joe

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

One of the things I believe Hans taught me you can do to help with Search being down is to click on the top category word "Subject" which lists things in reverse alphabetical order and back click from there. True, the key word will sometimes be buried in the middle, but that often does the trick.

SMPB

Thanks

From Labmice:
    <hr>The Indexing Service is available on all versions of Windows 2000 and creates indexes of the contents and properties of documents on your local hard drive as well as shared network drives. Indexing Service is designed to run continuously and requires little, if any, maintenance.<hr>
    Click on the link for more info...

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Joe,

I just changed the Paging File to 1533 (recommended) from 768. What is "indexing service" though. I defraged about a month ago....this hard drive running issue has been going on for months.

Thanks,
    BH Davis

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Indexing Service

My attitude toward indexing service and an awful lot of the MS MVP's who have excellent Win XP and Win 2K sites is to turn it off from day one. It slows your XP system down--for some people considerably and turning it off speeds it up. You sure as heck don't need it.

Windows XP comes with an Indexing Service which boosts the efficiency of searches. When enabled, the Indexing Service works in the background, extracting the contents and the properties of documents and organizing them in a way streamlined for fast searching.

If your computer strains under the weight of Windows XP, you may want to keep the Indexing Service switched off, as it slows your system somewhat. If you